ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's Fork The Thread! Linux Notetaking Thread!

<< < (8/12) > >>

Paul Keith:
I'm a bit confused by this thread. Is it a topic for how to reverse engineer OneNote or combine all the current Linux notetaking programs into one?

coolrat:
Hi, I am the author of Notecase (Pro) program.
Nice thread, I got few interesting ideas here (the one to preserve URL of pasted content is new to me).

To give you my 2 cents of advice:
quite a lot of program authors would live to get good high quality feedback and ideas on how to improve his program.

When/if you decide on a program you want to support, it would be good to invest some time to make detailed analysis (as a group) to help the author to see your vision of the progress for the program.
Perhaps it is the best to to this before your contribution because some features you want to push might get rejected :-)
-adriatic (August 24, 2009, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Adriatic is right- we should make a list:
1. the types of features we want and include diagrams or screen shots. 
2.  we should also point out the things we do not want and do NOT like about certain applications/features

We can't ask a developer to do everything and hope it is what we want.  Also, they have their own ideas and have spent years studying various ways of organizing data and they are, after all, in charge of the project  ;D

Adriatic is a very responsive developer and very keen on seeing his project develop.  Let's provide constructive advice and work together.  :D

adriatic:
Note that I might be the first one to reject some of the ideas  ;)

What I am interested is to get good quality feedback on my program,
and to get good ideas for features to add.

Since this site has quite a long thread on outliners, I am pretty sure this
group can produce some good quality thinking here.

Anyway, I would like to cooperate, but I am aware that my program might not be the obvious choice
(since it is a closed source program).

adriatic:
No offense, but if you are in the notetaking market and this feature is new to you now, I cannot help but thinking that you are not applying due diligence and checking what others in the market do. This feature has been in onenote for at least 6 years, and everyone loves it.
d many things you may want to implement.
-urlwolf (August 24, 2009, 05:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you ever looked the things from the perspective of software author ?
The development of a decent program (especially cross platform) takes quite a lot of work, time and effort.
Why assume everyone has used (or bought) OneNote. If this feature was so standard, why other programs didn't all implemented this feature ?

coolrat:
Good point adriatic.

Of course a developer cannot be familiar with every piece of software.  So its very reasonable that not every developer has used OneNote or all the note-taking programs would clearly be influenced by it.  And that is not the case.

Instead of criticizing someone's lack of familiarity with a software application, lets build a list of what we do want and show it to adriatic and see if we can contribute to his very decent program.

How shall we begin?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version