ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's Fork The Thread! Linux Notetaking Thread!

<< < (5/12) > >>

Armando:
Who here would be interested in bundling together a nice donation for some OSS author to either develop a good notetaker for linux or bring new features of the existing ones? We'd need to agree on which project to support, if we do the latter.
-urlwolf (August 15, 2009, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

One possibility would also be to support a specific notetaker's Wine compatibility. Not only would it help Wine's development (maybe...), but it would would also make an already good notetaker multiplatform, so to speak.

iphigenie:
I am certainly considering splitting activities

1. there is the capturing information part - i cant rely on bookmarks or bookmarking/snipping sites, after all content disappears off the web every day, and as per "snippet" sites they might get bought, hacked, bankrupted without notice. Need local copies, of the bits I am interested in, with link to source. Something like the opera "save note" but now and then with the occasional formatting or image. And it all needs to export or be stored in a standard format

2. there is the organising and writing for thinking - ideally this is in the same tool as above because all the snippets can be part of the process, but I can live with it being separate if no tool does both well.

Armando:
I'd agree with iphigenie's approach.

It's nice to have everything integrated, but it's very possible (without it having an impact on workflow) to have:

1- tools to capture/gather info (doesn't matter if there's only one or several software, as these usually change, get abandoned, etc. with time anyways. I use InfoQube, but not exclusively)

2- one or two tool to organize the gathered info (could be using a database, or using other custom means, tightly integrated with the filesystem -- I use InfoQube, windows only at the moment, plus a custom bullet proof naming scheme)

3- one or two tool to quickly search and filter info (a desktop search tool -- like beagle --, and something that's more a grep/locate/everything etc. tool.)

urlwolf:
One possibility would also be to support a specific notetaker's Wine compatibility. Not only would it help Wine's development (maybe...), but it would would also make an already good notetaker multiplatform, so to speak.
-Armando (August 16, 2009, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with wine is that copy-pasting from a linux browser to a wine app will lose all formatting (and the url of course according to Iphi's findings).

This is a show stopper for me.

We are now 3 guys/gals. If we could up our numbers to say 10 people, we could ask a dev to implement some features (and donate a good chunk, or buy 10 licenses).

I'd be more inclined to go for a simple, solid code-base that can grow fast and accommodate our features. A linux tool in say qt is easy to port to windows. Basket is way too big, and some design decisions are really mouse-oriented. I'd say tuxnotes (if the codebase is strong) has good potential. It's a no-frills app, but it keeps web snippet formatting really well. Not sure how active/available the developer is.

Armando:
The problem with wine is that copy-pasting from a linux browser to a wine app will lose all formatting (and the url of course according to Iphi's findings).
-urlwolf (August 16, 2009, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

would this be also true of a firefox clipping plugin ? I'm asking because InfoQube has a firefox web clipping plugin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version