ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's Fork The Thread! Linux Notetaking Thread!

<< < (3/12) > >>

urlwolf:
ok, I found a solution to break free of onenote and thus windows :)
rightnote is good enough. It should run on wine fine (note: I haven't tried yet)

here's a quick rundown:

rightNote
positive

* can edit/search an External file (example html); this is killer for sharing
* portable; stuff inside a sqlite db
* search is fast
* has excel-like tables
* code highlighters
* makes a line break like jedit :)
* better visibility
* can bold, tag the notes
* icons
* wrap note title
negative

* no "print to onenote", no good for filling pdfs
* no in-line sums (but google does that) also one can create a spreadsheet table
* no different notebooks
* could be abandoned
* no folding
* no roundTrip export/import. Loses indentation, headings
* not very fast creating a table
Everything stored in a sqlite db, so push comes to shove, you can retrieve your notes brute-force. No more vendor lock-in.

iphigenie:
I am looking for a better solution, at the moment I use... opera notes  :P

The good things about opera notes
- sync across machines and OSes
- if added from a web selection, remembers the original location link
- live search as you type
- exports to xml and other formats

The missing bits about opera notes
- no rich text or structured format
- no code highlighters, icons

In firefox there's evernote, ubernote and a few others - including one that integrate with linux native sticky notes apps (have to go on linux to get the names, the laptop is upstairs will edit)

Note: I too go for lightweight desktop / window managers solutions whenever I am given the choice, openbox+lxde at the moment but experimenting with a tiling window manager to see if it helps with staying focused

urlwolf:
ok after tesing under wine and crossover, rightnote is not a good solution.
It doesn't keep formatting when copying from the web, nor the url the snippet came from.

Anything that works on linux for web snippets and has a good search?

urlwolf:
I'm reading the forums here:
http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/tlist/608
(nice resource)

Looks like lots of companies making outliners are going out of business (e.g., Ultrarecall), partly because Microsoft entered the scene with oneNote and pretty much outclassed everyone (!). Others reacted by increasing prices (e.g., surfulater) or cutting them down (TexNotes)... There are some interesting developments (zoot coming back with version 6, connectedText, etc) but things look bad.

This is a pity. There is lots of talent in this subclass, I'd hate to see innovation die.

Under linux, the situation is even worse. Nothing comes close to a working solution for me. This sentiment is echoed in those forums. So after spending 2 days seaching for substitutes, I'm sticking with onenote and forgoing the possibility of something portable and open. If it's difficult to surviving in the (commercial) windows world, chances of a strong linux app are smaller even. BasKet had no main developer for more than a year, and just recently picked up speed (still, light years behind onenote, and several design decisions make it not useful for me, e.g. one has to click to start a note, no tab indentation etc).

urlwolf:
more on the dead of outlining software:

The two main causes of the death of PIMs are,
1) Incompatibility with new operating systems and the failure of developers to update their PIMs to operate in the new OS, and
2) Complete discontinuance of development of a PIM.

My discussion here is limited to PIMs used for information, collection, storage and retrieval, as opposed to those, such as single-pane outliners, used for authoring.

If one uses a PIM only for short-term projects, the obsoleting of a PIM may not be critical, although there will be the aggravation of finding and learning to use a replacement PIM.

But for long term use, the possibility of PIM death can be devastating, unless the PIM has the capability to export its stored information into files using standard formats such as rtf, html and jpg.  Even with this capability, such exporting can be an exceedingly long-term, tedious task, UNLESS the PIM has a batch export capability, or one can use a macro program to create the equivalent of batch export.

Is there, or could there be, an alternative approach?

What about saving information in standard file formats and using other tools to simulate PIM capabilities?  (This would enable cross-platform compatibility.)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version