ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's Fork The Thread! Linux Notetaking Thread!

<< < (2/12) > >>

steeladept:
it has 100% accurate handwriting recognition and can easily be used by multiple users-housetier (June 18, 2009, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Strange, my version of pen&paper only has about 85% accurate handwriting recognitiion, and while I've tried it with multiple users, there seems to be some problems with their recognition engines :-[
-TucknDar (June 18, 2009, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL ;D ;D ;D

tinjaw:
Google found me Zim, but I checked out BasKet and that looks nicer. I think I will start with that. (Side note, I wish I would have gone with kubuntu instead of ubuntu.)

Edvard:
I use "Pen & Paper" for various reasons: it works when the computer is turned off, you can add notes offline as well as online, it has 100% accurate handwriting recognition and can easily be used by multiple users. It even supports a limited history feature: you can still read old but x-ed out notes.

Oh yeah, and pen & paper lets you add freeform graphics, but no moving or audible media. The storage format is open and well-known (for I dont know how many centuries). The backend is compatible with any input device, there cannot be a driver conflict.

On the other hand, Pen & Paper is not free.
-housetier (June 18, 2009, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D

Seriously, the one time  I have needed a note-taking app, I found NoteCase to be more than adequate.
I use Xubuntu and so I get a cringe-y feeling whenever I have to install anything that depends too much on Gnome or KDE libs, so BasKet would not be tops on my list, however feature-rich it may be.
Tomboy depends on Mono, so that one's a DEFINITE out.
TreePad has always seemed like something I might like if I had money to spend on software.
I haven't felt a need to try anything else
 :two:

40hz:
Seriously, the one time  I have needed a note-taking app, I found NoteCase to be more than adequate.
I use Xubuntu and so I get a cringe-y feeling whenever I have to install anything that depends too much on Gnome or KDE libs
-Edvard (June 18, 2009, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Edvard raises an excellent point..

It's not always a great idea to mix apps from different desktops. KDE and Gnome apps can usually (usually mind you!) peacefully co-exist with very few problems. As long as the app in question can be found in one of your distro's main repositories, you'll seldom encounter a problem.

However, if you're running one of the lighter desktops, installing a KDE or Gnome app can very well cause major headaches. And even if the app doesn't break anything else, you'll almost always wind up dragging a huge number of software dependencies along with it. Not a pretty sight. Especially if Synaptic decides it needs to install something like the entire Gnome or KDE desktop (along with a dozen additional libraries) just to get some little 200K app to run!

Rule of thumb: If you decide to go "off the reservation" for an app - and your package manager reports something like: 410 Mb to be downloaded for a total of 1647 new packages...  - then do yourself a big favor and just hit the CANCEL button.

Also think in terms of what hardware you have. I run an Xfce desktop on my laptop! (Did I say that right?). Toshi's getting on in the years, and doesn't really have the oomph to run Gnome or KDE. So NoteCase would be a much better choice for my old Toshiba.

:)

Stoic Joker:
I use "Pen & Paper" for various reasons: it works when the computer is turned off, you can add notes offline as well as online, it has 100% accurate handwriting recognition and can easily be used by multiple users. It even supports a limited history feature: you can still read old but x-ed out notes.

Oh yeah, and pen & paper lets you add freeform graphics, but no moving or audible media. The storage format is open and well-known (for I dont know how many centuries). The backend is compatible with any input device, there cannot be a driver conflict.

On the other hand, Pen & Paper is not free.
-housetier (June 18, 2009, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd like to 2nd this vote, as it's something I also do. ...and given that my handwriting is atrocious, I also consider my notes to be "encrypted" ... because when I write in a hurry nobody (else) can read them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version