ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is best program to create a DVD from any video file?

<< < (19/31) > >>

MilesAhead:
AVStoDVD and double layer?

Hmmmm, tried making a DVD9 tonight, but Imgburn didn't like it very much. The old "no suitable cell for a layer break" routine.  Has anyone tried AVStoDVD for DVD9?

I'm using Verbatim Double Layer and it looks like AVStoDVD only knows about Dual Layer.  I'm burning one now anyway with Imgburn.  See if it plays.

Innuendo:
Keep us posted, Miles. If nothing else, you throwing yourself on this grenade may prevent the senseless death of other dual-layer DVD-R discs in the future.  :)

MilesAhead:
I got a reply from MrC, the author of AVStoDVD.  His advice is just to use the latest Imgburn to manually enter an address for the layer break. (When I set the option in Imgburn 2.5 to manual instead of auto layer break selection, it popped up a box suggesting ranges where the address should be.. I entered a number in the range and it adjusted it.  All I know is the disc played ok afaik.. didn't have time to play the entire 2 hours yet. But it jumped chapters from before the layer break to after and they played so I'm assuming it's ok like that.) Rereading the help file in more depth it appears the authored VIDEO_TS folder has nothing to do with DVD-DL or DVD+DL it doesn't put any layer break info.

The reason Imgburn picks up layer breaks from rips is that there's layer break info to work with or the chapters are laid out in such a way that it's easy for Imgburn to choose it.  AVStoDVD doesn't put any.  Trial and error with Imgburn guidance I guess is the preferred method in this case.

edit: btw I haven't tried the built in burn mechanism of AVStoDVD since the burner on my dual core actually burns double layer a lot better than the burner on my quad core.  So integrating the whole operation would cost a lot of time.

MilesAhead:
@MilesAhead: No idea about QuEnc--HCenc is fast enough now so I haven't played around with QuEnc at all. On my dual core machine each pass took about 25 minutes encoding a 1 hour 45 minute DivX movie. So 50 minutes plus about another 15 minutes for additional muxing to generate a fully compliant DVD in 1 hour and 5 minutes. Amazing--older versions of HC were apparently much slower.
-sajman99 (October 13, 2009, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Curiosity got the better of me.  I had a job for DVD-RB. I ran it using 2 pass best profile HC 0.23 4 instances on my Quad Core.  Then I substituted the May 0.24 HC beta.  Any difference in processing was negligible.  Then I substituted the September HC 0.24 beta.  I looked at the fps and it looked about the same.  However when I checked the video processing stage elapsed time it was 50 minutes instead of 55 as the previous 2 runs were.

I deleted all intermediate files between runs. It appears the September has enough of a speed advantage to make it worth the substitutions.  Eventually I'll try it in FAVC.  I didn't notice any qualitative difference in any of the output.  Unless there's some instability I'm unaware of, it looks like the September beta is the way to go.

edit: I haven't done any comparisons yet on single instance multi-thread scenario as would be produced with AVStoDVD.  I've been using the May beta, but I just changed to the Sept. HC beta.  Haven't done a run with that setup yet.

MilesAhead:
@MilesAhead: No idea about QuEnc
-sajman99 (October 13, 2009, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just thought I'd mention it since AVStoDVD comes with QuEnc 0.75 alpha and we were substituting encoders in other tools.  I read someplace on DOOM9 a note by the author of QuEnc that in the 0.75 Alpha, the option for Trellis Quant actually has nothing to do with Trellis.  But it's to signify something to do with multi-threading.  It's difficult to find much info but if you use Trellis Quant with QuEnc then I wouldn't plug 0.75 into other tools.  Something like FAVC you might get multiple instances running multiple threads.  Might end up with a kaleidoscopic video. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version