ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is best program to create a DVD from any video file?

<< < (9/31) > >>

sajman99:
@MilesAhead: I hate to hear about FAVC's possible demise. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've used FAVC with HC encoder for the last year and never had any issue with it whatsoever.
-sajman99 (June 22, 2009, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

btw have you tried FAVC HC with Predictive Quantization setting?  I've been using it a lot.  When in a hurry I used to do QuEnc but I'm finding this a good compromise between speed and quality.  The output looks almost as good as 2 pass HC but it's only a bit slower than a 1 pass.  It kind of skips around taking samples, then does a 1 pass encoding.  Going from low bitrate to higher such as when the input is .avi or .wmv it seems to give really good results.  Esp. too if the input is 720p .avi or .wmv the output DVD looks great.

-MilesAhead (October 01, 2009, 11:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
HC all the way. People much more knowledgeable than me over at the Doom9 forum have indicated the HC encoder produces output very closely approximating the highly regarded CCE encoder's ouput. Their informed opinion is good enough for me.

I had very good results using FAVC's predictive quantization. It saved lots of time and the results were virtually identical to 2-pass VBR. BUT the issue I had was that PQ mode was less precise in terms of file size-- often undersizing and occasionally oversizing (yikes!).

However, I haven't used FAVC for some time. AFAIK Mr. Odwin is still MIA with no new FAVC version since 1.07, and his program is getting less useful with each release of the HC encoder. I mean, HC Encoder now has its own 1-pass VBR and there was a new release just days ago with several new features. AFAIK FAVC cannot utilize any of the new HC features, including settings like AQ and LUMGAIN.

I really hope Mr. Odwin returns to update FAVC by incorporating the newest HC Encoder settings. If he does, I'll definitely be downloading as soon as possible.

MilesAhead:
I really hope Mr. Odwin returns to update FAVC by incorporating the newest HC Encoder settings. If he does, I'll definitely be downloading as soon as possible.

--- End quote ---

I feel the same way.  I sent an email to the support address on the download page.  Got no bounce and no reply.  It's been over a month.  Looks like 1.07 is it.

sajman99:

--- End quote ---

I feel the same way.  I sent an email to the support address on the download page.  Got no bounce and no reply.  It's been over a month.  Looks like 1.07 is it.

-MilesAhead (October 02, 2009, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, crud to that. And some people say no news is good news. :(

MilesAhead:
btw sajman are you using the HC gui, batch or another gui or wrapper program with the 0.24 beta?  I'm looking around for easy to use front ends.  Right now I'm doing a job with AvsToDVD but it still seems to be set for HC 0.23.  Have you found any nice front ends for the latest?

sajman99:
MilesAhead, you can upgrade the "HCenc.exe" in the AVStoDVD folder with a newer version of HC Encoder by carefully renaming the newest version. Of course, the issue is whether the latest software is yet able to utilize the newer features/settings-- which I'm guessing is what you mean by "set for HC 0.23".

I'm sticking with the HC .24beta from May for now since the very latest HC has undocumented settings. Even the experts at Doom9 are asking questions, so I surely wouldn't know the correct config until developer Hank315 offers explanation.

As for HC wrappers etc., the only suggestion I can offer is to try this. Good Luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version