ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is best program to create a DVD from any video file?

<< < (6/31) > >>

4wd:
One more thing I forgot to mention, a free video converter that you may not even know you had - I certainly didn't until a vague mention on a site stirred up long dormant memories  ;D

If you have a recent ATI video card, (I have a HD4850), then there's a video converter you can download along with the latest Catalyst Control Center - the ATI Avivo Video Converter.

Choose a video file, choose the output format, (iPod, MPEG4, Portable Media Center, MPEG1, Super VCD, DVD, MPEG2, etc), choose the output quality, hit Start.

Results are a decent quality, (possibly a bit softer than I'd like), even though it does screw things up sometimes, (eg. PAL avi converted to NTSC MPEG even though it correctly recognised it at 25fps).

And it is fast, 349MB 48 minute 624x352 MPEG4-ASP video converted to 1.2GB, 8Mb/s 480x272(?!) DVD, (this is not a DVD compatible frame size - wth are they doing!?), in just over 5 minutes.

Then it's just a matter getting them onto a DVD, either by authoring or as files.

One thing, make sure the Catalyst Control Center is in Basic Mode or else you'll have a very hard time finding it.

Personally, I don't use because of the limited control you have over the output - if they added options for output resizing and sharpness, then I might start using it more often and get some use out of the GPU.

Innuendo:
I would have mentioned the ATI convertor, but I thought he was looking for a DVD authoring program rather than a video transcoder.

Oh, and to let you in on ATI's dirty little secret, their convertor doesn't use the GPU at all. When it was first released it was said it would get the ability to use the GPU at a later date. We're all still waiting for that day to come.

4wd:
I would have mentioned the ATI convertor, but I thought he was looking for a DVD authoring program rather than a video transcoder.-Innuendo (June 20, 2009, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Initially it was about an enquiry about AIO types, video transcode to DVD, eg. ConvertX-to-DVD, WinAVI Video Converter, etc.

But it's kind of digressed, (as is usual here :) ), into what people think is the best as asked back here.

Oh, and to let you in on ATI's dirty little secret, their convertor doesn't use the GPU at all. When it was first released it was said it would get the ability to use the GPU at a later date. We're all still waiting for that day to come.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I read all that when it first came out and to be truthful, any decent encoder will currently knock it for six, (eg. ffmpeg, which the majority of freeware is based on: Avidemux, mencoder, etc), in terms of speed/quality ratio and configuration but I thought I'd mention it just for completeness because it is one of the easiest to use and the output is still decent.

Plus it's something easy to try if you have an ATI GPU, even though it doesn't use it - I'm still searching for the mythical GPU based video encoder, there's only one that I know of and unfortunately it's expensive and nVidia only IIRC.

Edit: I found a link that says they switched it on starting with driver 8.12 - still, the performance gains currently aren't anything that couldn't be achieved through code optimisation.

Innuendo:
WheBut it's kind of digressed, (as is usual here :) ), into what people think is the best as asked back here.-4wd
--- End quote ---

I always end up using Nero for both situations. I keep meaning to find something more advanced, but it suits all my current needs in that regard.

/quoteEdit: I found a link that says they switched it on starting with driver 8.12 - still, the performance gains currently aren't anything that couldn't be achieved through code optimisation.
[/quote]

I don't believe them. :)   They've said they have 'switched it on' in the past and someone comes along and hacks the converter to run on some integrated graphics chipset and there's no improvement at all.

Innuendo:
On a related topic, if someone's looking for ways to shrink down DVD9 discs down to DVD5 for back-up purposes I have to say there's nothing better than DVD Rebuilder Pro from http://www.jdobbs.com/.

Only reason there hasn't been a new version in such a long time is because at this point the software is feature complete & bug-free. No one's been able to suggest anything that needs adding. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version