ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is best program to create a DVD from any video file?

<< < (21/31) > >>

MilesAhead:
AVStoDVD updated.

sajman99:
AVStoDVD updated.
-MilesAhead (October 25, 2009, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cripes, both hank315 (HC encoder developer) and MrC (AVStoDVD developer) seem to have kicked it into high gear lately. Usually many months go by without any updates whatsoever, but now we have multiple updates in just the last couple months. Many thanks to these incredible guys! Only problem is I need more spare time to keep up. :)

MilesAhead:
Talking about keeping up.. I have a lot of reading to do.  I don't know what most of the settings on these things really are.  I just read up on bias so now I get what you mentioned about the high bias setting.  I'm doing a conversion with HC 2 pass with a bit rate @8500 and the bias is 80.  It will be interesting to see how it looks compared to QuEnc one pass high quality CBR.

I wish Philips would get off the dime and come out with a cheap player that plays mkv and other formats with higher than PAL resolution.  Kind of silly to size the things down just to upconvert when playing.  With my setup it's too much hassle to wire directly from a PC to the HDTV. For the time being I'm stuck with a player connected to TV.

sajman99:
MilesAhead, you likely already know this but I'll mention it anyways-- there is a HC .pdf in the HC miscellaneous sub-folder (though apparently not with the Oct. HC?) which provides info regarding parameters like bias, lumgain, adaptive quantization, etc.

From a logical point of view, I don't get why I should use a high bias value (say greater than 50) when performing a VBR encode. :tellme: I think the free version of DVD-RB uses a value of 20--seems more logical to me. I searched a while back and saw iirc where jdobbs (DVD-RB developer) recommended a bias value of 20.

FYI when I remarked earlier about my "seriously screwy results" with the September HC 024, I was referring to something I'd never seen before--on the 2nd pass HC was dropping bitrate like crazy (15-20% less than the 1st pass) rendering significant undersizing. I'd never seen more than a 1-2% variation between passes before, so something? was very clearly wrong. My guess is that my experience was related to the new "deadzone quantization" parameter which is now adaptive with Oct. HC, but until I have time to run multiple trials that's all it is-- a guess.

MilesAhead:
I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version