topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Early Windows apps  (Read 3938 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Early Windows apps
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:06 PM »
While surfing the Web looking at Windows history I found  this page which talks about modifying the file headers of Windows 1 and 2 programs so that they will run in later versions. I have done this in my Win XP machine. I would like to know if they will run under Win Vista. I think it would be a real blast from the past and interesting backwards compatibility if some Windows 1 programs would run in Windows 7. I have attached the 2 zip archives of the programs to this entry.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Early Windows apps
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:20 PM »
2Arizona Hot
THX. Although I had knew mentioned page already I didn't know they had such stuff.

BTW Your post reminded me about some Win 3.11 application I still have on my HDD:
Spoiler
It's called cardfile.exe

cardfile.PNG

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Early Windows apps
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:28 PM »
I would like to know if they will run under Win Vista. I think it would be a real blast from the past and interesting backwards compatibility if some Windows 1 programs would run in Windows 7. I have attached the 2 zip archives of the programs to this entry.

I think they'll have a decent chance of running on 32-bit Vista and Win7 (but I'm not sure). To get them to run on a 64-bit platform will require a VM (VMware, Virtual PC, Win7's Virtual XP, etc.).