topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IE to be removed from Windows 7 in EU  (Read 17153 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IE to be removed from Windows 7 in EU
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Scan Man is being facetious (I hope). The reason for Microsoft making this decision is two-fold. First, they put egg all over the EU's face, and second, they (potentially) avoid having to bundle competitors' browsers with their operating system. Do not confuse this as being something the EU decided should be done.

I'm unsure whether or not they expected the EU to take that lying down, but I can't imagine they'll go for it.

Ehtyar.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 09:02 PM »
The head of the EU division that hands out these is a (vicious) Dutch political lady, her name is Neelie Smit-Kroes. Now I know that her term in (that) office is almost served up, so maybe it could be that MS wants to put egg-face thingy over the EU and hopes that they stretch this long enough to get a more milder head of office.

Admittedly putting egg now seems not such a smart move when the EU position is "refilled", but hey...what does MS know that we don't?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 11:12 PM »
[mouser]: How does one get on the internet to download an alternate browser if there is no browser installed with the OS?

Built-in FTP.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 11:31 PM »
[mouser]: How does one get on the internet to download an alternate browser if there is no browser installed with the OS?

Built-in FTP.
But zomg! It's monopolistic to include a ftp client with the OS! What about the market for simple commandline ftp clients?!+1+1+! one one one.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 05:15 AM »
Man, they can't include a GUI anymore either because Stardock and various other gui makers would complain about a monopoly. Then they couldn't include a command line because linux would cry afoul that their OS has yet to take off due to the popularity of DOS.