Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 22, 2014, 10:28:59 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Internet - from the 1990's point of view  (Read 1416 times)
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »

Trine Gallegos hosts this segment shot in 1995 when the Internet was first becoming an icon. This is an interesting look back at how clunky the applications were. I don't even think they were using a computer mouse yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=yFF0oQySsh4
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »

Lynx  Kiss

Grin
x16wda
Supporting Member

what am I doing in this handbasket?

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »

<phew> that stuff's too exciting for me...

vi vi vi - editor of the beast
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »

FTP, Telnet, WAIS, Gopher, Archie, Mosaic, and all the rest were fun and fine.

But to me, it all really began (and will probably end) with The Whole Earth Lectronic Link (aka The WELL). Kiss

Still clunky by design, IMO it's the absolute triumph of content over form. And one of the few things that predated (and later transitioned over to) the web that's still worth keeping. Maybe one of the few things worth keeping on the web regardless.

Cool

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
allen
Charter Member