topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: disk space analysis by extension (for backup decisions)  (Read 5573 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

While Veign looks for a good file folder size program, I want to know which disk space program is really smart in terms of extension size, preferably network capable.  I am deciding what to back up from 17 puters on a network (workgroup) to the cloud and it would be helpful to know that the .pdf takes up this amount, the .doc and .pst like so.  Or on the other hand, it would be nice to see the amount taken by what I don't want to back up, .exe and .dll and such.  (I am not sure yet whether to approach the project on an include or exclude basis, although include is in the lead.)  This is not mission-critical stuff, the biz data is on the PC server and also the minicomputer, and the mini is is now doubly backed up, tape and cloud, the PC server files are over the net (and to a real vault company, using solid software, this is not mozying around). However, the idea that people should just lose all their personal files on a crash or mal-stuff doesn't make a lot of sense, so I want to back up at least the prime-time stuff.

Most of the disk space programs are not thinking in terms of total size for an extension, one or two I looked at have some capabilities, but not real strong (that was a few nites ago, I will check my notes) ... are any that you have seen real strong ? They don't have to be network capable, especially if freeware.  The PC's are all in one building and I can install.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:58 PM by Steven Avery »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: disk space analysis by extension (for backup decisions)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:37 PM »
Flexense can do what you want.  http://www.flexense.com/products.html

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:13 AM »
Disk Analyzer - small, standalone with a boring Win95 look.

Capture-1.jpgdisk space analysis by extension (for backup decisions)

However, it does work.  Give it a drive to look at and when it's finished you can sort by Type which will give you the total space taken up by various extensions.

It keeps the results from previous analysis, so you can choose one and see how it's changed from a current one.

You can print the results, graph the results, it's portable and it's free.......what's not to like?

Also, with the saving of previous analysis thing, you can just stick it on a flash drive, plug it into a PC, select a prior job and do an update - no need to install on all PCs.

And I guess if you map network drives you might also be able to use it on them, haven't tried it though (I don't do mapping :) ).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:22 AM by 4wd »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks !  Good, solid recommendations, I'll check them out.  Primasoft I didn't even know they have a disk space thing (AutoFTP I knew).  I don't think any of the standard top well-known disk space programs are strong on this extension aspect, so I was in a bit of a quandary.

Well FlexTk (Express, the personal-use freeware) gave me an error because of a file name being too long, a trapped error with a banner announcement, very unusual.

Added:
Express: Support for Long File Names    No
http://www.flexense....flextk/versions.html
So for any real function you have to work with the $50 product, the $150 or the pricey network. So it is gonna have to be real good :) .. like make a good veggie burrito on the side. (Seriously, it might be worth a look .. maybe, if only to see what they think they have ! 30-day trial).

While Primasoft wants more resources in the Win 16 Subsystem to install.  (Note: Ok the readme says the installer is for the old cranky systems, simply copy the files over and make your icon .. done.)

So it is going a smidgen slow.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:22 AM by Steven Avery »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:02 AM »
Just like I recommended it to Veign, I recommend it to you as well. WinDirStat also reports size per file type, just like this:

Screenshot - 17_06_2009 , 15_56_35.png

The help file mentions you can check up network drives or use UNC paths, so it should work on networks.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
disk space analysis by extension - WinDirStat
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:43 AM »
HI Folks,

Ahh .. good to know on WinDirStat. Loading it at work now.

btw, Primasoft has an Amigo-2000 calendar/reminder that looks interesting, although I had to go to Softpedia to see the pics. http://www.softpedia...creenshot-33888.html  It has no categories for overlays though.  

Added a bit more on FlexTx and Primasoft above.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:21 AM by Steven Avery »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 03:22 PM »
-Steven Avery (June 17, 2009, 09:43 AM)

Dang it!  Lashiec beat me with WinDirStat, that was my next suggestion.

However, I will add it is portable - just extract it from the installer, (or install, copy, uninstall), and you're good to go.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 06:48 PM »
-Steven Avery (June 17, 2009, 09:43 AM)

Dang it!  Lashiec beat me with WinDirStat, that was my next suggestion.

However, I will add it is portable - just extract it from the installer, (or install, copy, uninstall), and you're good to go.

You may download a .zip file from this page http://sourceforge.n...mp;release_id=342578 (extract to any folder, delete setup.exe and you are ready to go)

BTW. it does write its settings to the registry.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Hi Folks,

The Primasoft Disk Analyzer has some bugs, it even showed  the .dll and .exe file totals as negative sizes.  The program had some potential (shows the number of files) even with the old-style look, but not if I can't get sensible numbers.  It looks like it does not handle .extension totals over about 2 gigs.  Yoiks.  Here are two pics that show this, interestingly the second one doesn't even show the negative .exe amount, which shows up in the sort by type.  A bit sloppy from Primasoft (Thurs AM: I sent them a note).

iso is at top.jpg

dll is neg.jpg

The three big file totals are missing at the top .. two are negative size, and you can see one of them at the bottom, the other two are in mid-stream somewhere without a paddle.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:12 AM by Steven Avery »