ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XYplorer 8.00 released with DUAL PANES (!)

<< < (4/9) > >>

Jibz:
descript.ion files .. now that brings back memories of the BBS days .. that has to be the granddaddy of metadata ;D.

Innuendo:
First of all, I want this to be a neutral place to comment. However, looking at the XYplorer forum I have to apologize to all of the XYplorer users as they were not the ones posting the negative comments. Those comments seem to be only posted by the admin.

I'm not convinced of the concept of descript.ion files. It looks like a bureaucratic overhead to me, which leads to more problems than solutions.
And, the sheer fact that not every program supports it reduces its usefulness considerably, doesn't it?-admin
--- End quote ---

Bureaucratic overhead? More problems than solutions? If this were the case the file format would have died out back in 1993 instead of having lived on so long.

I have a lot of experience with work organisation, and I found more often than not that adding another level of description leads to more problems, more work, more waste of time.-admin
--- End quote ---

More work? More waste of time? This person has no idea how descript.ion files can be  utilized. I cannot even put into words how much time has been saved or my organization helped by having descript.ion files at my disposal.

Sorry, but this topic is through. TrackerV3 is for people who know the art of naming files.-admin
--- End quote ---

Sorry, but descript.ion files, at least the way I use them, have nothing in the world at all with the art of naming files.

As author I see it as my responsibility to make some decisions for the user. This may seem arrogant, but this arrogance is inherent in any authorship, isn't it?-admin
--- End quote ---

Yes, make decisions, but make informed decisions, please. I use descript.ion files for automation and tracking purposes not for storing what I should have named the file in the first place.

Why am I typing all this? I have a sincere desire to see XYplorer improve. Yes, I love Total Commander, but if something else surpasses its usability I can see myself one day replacing it or at the very least using the two side-by-side.

And regarding explorer thumbnails, I love them and have them turned on in Total Commander, but I do realize that they do slow the file listings down & Don has stated he wants to keep XYplorer as fast as possible so I can understand why he would have omitted the feature in the name of speed.

fenixproductions:
And regarding explorer thumbnails, I love them and have them turned on in Total Commander, but I do realize that they do slow the file listings down & Don has stated he wants to keep XYplorer as fast as possible so I can understand why he would have omitted the feature in the name of speed.-Innuendo (June 16, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
But what is the difference between "big icons" and "thumbnails" views then? I have always thought that if you choose thumbs you accept slowdown because speed is less important than preview in such case. There is also no need for writing own graphic libraries or specific files handling methods. Just use what operating system already has. Even explorer.exe does so.

I will end my rant saying that I had good laugh reading about "the art of naming files". Looks like it's not 8.3 compatible  :)

cranioscopical:
First of all, I want this to be a neutral place to comment.-Innuendo (June 16, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, it doesn't really read that way to me, seems a bit antagonistic, especially when comments are imported from elsewhere. It's probably my poor level of comprehension manifesting itself yet again. I often think that because we don't all share the same first language, and yet try to express ourselves in English, comments end up with a different tone from what was intended. The great thing about DC is the level of tolerance and civility that dominates.

Innuendo:
cranioscopical, you're right, of course. I'm probably coming on way too strong, but I'm very passionate about file managers. I would, however, like to discuss with Don the uses of descript.ion files and let him know how I use them to keep track of things between programs and hopefully he'll reconsider adding the feature.

His tags.dat file format may be wonderful, but it cannot replace descript.ion files for me till other programs can access the tags.dat file's contents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version