ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

is this how you can tell if a powerstrip is bad

<< < (2/2)

techidave:
How about a power strip with an indicator light that flickers constantly?   I plug several others into the same outlet and they don't flicker.  So does this mean there might be something wrong internally?

4wd:
@Hey 4wd!

Shoot. If I knew you were going to write the book, I wouldn't have bothered to write the book! ;D ;D ;D

:Thmbsup:-40hz (June 15, 2009, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wrote the abridged version  :P

"When in doubt - have it checked - or throw it out."

--- End quote ---

I always preferred: "One flash and you're ash."  ;D

How about a power strip with an indicator light that flickers constantly?   I plug several others into the same outlet and they don't flicker.  So does this mean there might be something wrong internally?-techidave (June 15, 2009, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless you're prepared to pull it apart and look or fix it, it could mean almost anything from:
a) the filament in the light, (assuming it is filament based), broken and making intermittent contact due to vibration;
b) the neon gas in a neon tube failing to ionise uniformly;
c) the, (omnipresent), voltage dropping resistor breaking down intermittently;
d) dry solder connections causing intermittent connection due to either heating/cooling effect as it makes contact or vibration;
e) etc, etc, etc.

As both 40Hz and I say above, it's your peace of mind at risk.

I'd pull it apart and fix it if it annoyed me enough but considering it would probably be tucked away under a desk or something I'd most likely wouldn't notice it in the first place.  Nor would it bother me if I did notice it, if it was only the light doing it - if it was all the attached devices as well then I'd pull it apart and fix it :)

Spend AU$4-7 versus 20 minutes of my time, I'd keep the money :P

Plus I don't believe in the throw-away society we seem to live in now.

"Pleased to meet you, my wife is called MakeDo, my name is Mend."   :D

Your "when in doubt, throw it out" advise will give me a greater peace of mind.  So far I have found only 4 out of about 20 or so that I am not comfortable with.  For a price of $10 or so apiece, its not worth worrying about.
--- End quote ---

Oh, one thing if you're throwing them out: If you don't think they're safe to use then that should apply to everyone else as far as you're concerned.

Before you toss them out, cut the mains lead into 150mm lengths starting as close to the plug and the strip as you can so they can't be used.  This should apply to anything mains powered that you throw out.

techidave:
Before you toss them out, cut the mains lead into 150mm lengths starting as close to the plug and the strip as you can so they can't be used.  This should apply to anything mains powered that you throw out.

--- End quote ---

I have learned to do this on everything I throw out, otherwise people will dig it out of the trash and try it at home.

4wd:

--- End quote ---

I have learned to do this on everything I throw out, otherwise people will dig it out of the trash and try it at home.
-techidave (June 16, 2009, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just don't do it around my area because I'll be one of those people  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version