ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

personal favourites start page

<< < (3/4) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Ok, ok... I will go the startpage HTML home-brew route !

However, in the meantime. :)

A) The Favorite Start Page - I decided against.  There are things like overlaps and such, doesn't cut it.

B) Linkshelf - good at least temporarily.  Afaik, no HTML-export, since that would undercut their server usage.

C) Cobian Amigo http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianamigo.htm may have some utility in this type of setup.  Anybody try it out ?

Shalom,
Steven 

edbro:
I use Netvibes in conjunction with Delicious. I have a tag group named "Daily" in Delicious that contain all the sites I visit daily. Then I monitor that RSS feed on Netvibes. I do the same with other often used categories; "Support", "Software", etc.

40hz:
Cobian Amigo http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianamigo.htm may have some utility in this type of setup.  Anybody try it out ?

Shalom,
Steven  
-Steven Avery (June 18, 2009, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting find. The whole idea of a web accessible client-server solution has a lot of appeal. But as was noted on the Amigo webpage, I'm one of the many who is sure as hell not going to trust anything of mine that's private to a 3rd party.

I'll have to see if I can find the time to check it out over the weekend.

(Any excuse to avoid yard work, right?  ;D )

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

As a portal, Linkshelf has been quite good.  Drab, but you can set up your pages with groups and get there easily.  So let us say I posted on a topic, I add the url to a window "threads in process" and remember to get there quickly the next day. Very non-bureaucratic for self-design.  It works well with hundreds of links, but not thousands, since search is only ctrl-f for the particular page-topic (which pages I set up for Travel, Software, Bible, etc .. very distinct groupings, but as always with such structure you run into the question .. which page).  The pedigree is questionable and I have not been able to add new users (a message about cookies, whereever I try) and there is no visible communication or support ... so I am always looking for alternatives.

The closest idea of an alternative I tried is 43Marks .. here is a sample one-page app on Bible topics :
http://43marks.com/purebible

This is specialty stuff, so you may not find the links themselves of interest, the point is to show how nice a public page was set-uppable in 15-30 minutes.

43Marks handles the public-private aspect quite well.  A public one anybody can navigate to and use without a password, the password is used to modify.  Private is only seen by a signin. Very crisp.

I like their colors and simplicity of concept, however, the number of characters is a line is small, and wraparound is unaesthetic.  There are pluses and minuses.  For major personal setup use, it does not have the Linkshelf functionality.  For nice, crisp public shared and limited personal, it can be vastly superior. 

And I looked at linkagogo.  I might try to import my full linkman stash there, but for setting up structure I do not find it anywhere near as pleasant as 43Marks or as visible as Linkshelf.  As a bookmark manager it might be good, but then it has to compete with Linkman, and becomes double effort, and Linkman will always be the best in a 100 ways (speed, quickness of adding, etc.).

I'm avoiding all the ones that are social media oriented, or RSS feed, design your page to tell you the weather, etc. .. What I like is simple, my own designs for navigation on the web.

Your thoughts on this appreciated.  I like to be able to go to a foreign computer, sign in, and really feel comfortable that I can navigate to forums, major sites, etc. comfortably.

As I said, Linkshelf does the job admirably well, but with the caveats above. (As I said, I have not even been able to set up a new user for months.) Thus the search for an alternative.

================

Note: I have not gone the home-brew route.  I think  the quick-ad concern comes to mind, can you really add two new links in one minute comfortably ?  However, if anyone wants to give a mini-tutorial, listing the tools they like to use, I'll likely give it a wing.

Steven

zridling:
I created this type of page, which I've revised a lot since. Very simple and includes every good link I need for reference, banking, photos, tech, et al.:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=21530.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version