topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Acronis True Image Home 2009 41% off on Bits du Jour, Fri. 19th June  (Read 5929 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bits du Jour offer:

Acronis True Image Home 2009

Deal Price: $29.99
You Save: 41%
List Price: $49.99

Deal Available: Friday 19 JUN ’09

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I noticed this as well. Worth it?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I haven't tried it, but I'm fairly sure I've seen positive mentions on DC before.

Off to try the forum search...

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

No one size fits all on image programs.  If this has alternate and sensible file-by-file backup (in case the image fails or you restore to another puter where the OS is installed first) that is a major plus.   Acronis I think also has a "universal image restore" product (restore on any puter) but those tend to be more pricey.  I see every image product from every vendor (freeware or commercial) occasionally gets posts about how the image restore did not take.  So I caution .. anyone who relies on an image backup only .. have a file-by-file function somewhere.

Acronis is definitely top-tier, I do remember criticisms of their support.  Myself .. undecided and considering.

Personally I see image backups more for test environments and some biz environments, preferring the simplicity of selective file-by-file and then the health of a new OS restore in case of a crash.  However they seem to be all the rage these days.  Personally, I usually see an OS lockup or a disk crash as a providential sign that it is time for a new, fresh OS install.

Shalom,
Steven

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm certainly considering getting this, and hopefully get into a good backup routine. I'm preparing a WinXP reinstall, and suppose making an image of a freshly installed OS then regular file backups would be to way to go.

Took it for a test drive, and it was surprisingly fast making an image of the system partition :up:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've never used Acronis True Image, but they have a very good reputation and they are at the top of their field with satisfied customers (unlike Ghost).

I think we're getting to the stage of the game, though, where I think it'd be a frugal decision money-wise to hold off buying anything like this until these products support Windows 7. The release to manufacturing date is rumored to be scheduled for mid-July and could be on store shelves in mid-October.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had to really use TI#11 lately - I mean do a restore of C drive :) and it worked - gotta say I was very relieved - I find the whole new install thing a total (and very time consuming) pain.
They do have a reputation of doing a lot of 'beta-testing' post-release

With version 11 they offered an upgrade price from older versions (back at least to version 7), so, if that policy continues, a purchase option could be to try pick up an older free version somewhere and get an upgrade
Tom

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Offer is today.

I went ahead and bought it (tax returns are due soon 8) ). Impressed with the speed of creating an image and certainly like it so far. Hope I won't really need to restore, but the knowledge that I have the option sure is relieving :up: