topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: an idea: sponsoring an open source smf (simlemachines.org forum) mod or two  (Read 4711 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
we've discussed on this forum a couple mods to the smf forum that would be nice to have; i've written some custom stuff for smf but i was thinking that maybe we should try to have a kind of contest or something to sponsor some smf mod programmer who was interested in creating an open source mod that we would particularly like.  the mod would be made available as a normal open source smf mod, the only thing we'd be doing is offering a little reward to the person who worked on it because its something we would find useful.

the most immediate one i can see a use for is an integration with media wiki and the bug tracking program (mantis), so that users would only use one login for all three.  but nudone also suggested a "bookmark" type mod that might be nice.

prizes for the coder could include a copy of vmware, a dc shirt, maybe some other software?

comments?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would really like a bookmarking system for the forum - similar to "watched threads" in usenet terms (possibly incorporated into the UNREAD POSTS view), and a combined user login system for the whole site would be great.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
vBulletin has folders (you can create), so everything you subscribe to, you can sort into those.  It basically stores them there with an option for how each thread is handled through email notification or no email notification.  Very necessary stuff for keeping threads organized. Or you can eliminate your filtered folders and show all subscribed threads together in one long list, again very smart.  :Thmbsup:

1. FOLDERS
2. EMAIL CONTROL

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
that's quite nice.. now i see why people like vbulletin so much.