ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Status of Directory Opus development, does anyone know?

<< < (4/4)

muntealb:
Which is taking advantage of a loophole to gain free use of software past the provided trial period. Surely an effective 60 days of usage is enough to decide whether Opus is for you or not?
-tanis424 (September 04, 2009, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you are overreacting. It's not like I recommended him to go and download a cracked version from a warez or a bittorrent site. Usage of virtualization technology may be a loophole from the point of view of shareware producers, but it is legal. And on this forum full of knowledgeable people in the software domain, probably a good portion of them already have virtualization software installed, so it's nothing new for the most part.

Virtualization comes handy when a software trial limit has expired or is near expiring date. There are times when someone wants to try a software, installs it and then he must do something else, forgots or does not have time to pursue the testing. The time passes, even 1-2 months and when he has time to test, the trial period has expired. Instead of downloading a cracked copy, he can test the trial version in a virtual machine. 

Directory Opus is a great software and is worth the money paid for it. It has a shortcoming though, namely it doesn't have a language file in text format, so it is not freely translatable by anyone who wants to do it. I myself use UltraExplorer and FreeCommander, which are free and also freely translatable.

tanis424:
Have you tried emailing GPSoftware directly and explaining your request to them? I wouldn't be surprised if they granted a further trial period.

tanis424:
Directory Opus is a great software and is worth the money paid for it. It has a shortcoming though, namely it doesn't have a language file in text format, so it is not freely translatable by anyone who wants to do it. I myself use UltraExplorer and FreeCommander, which are free and also freely translatable.
-muntealb (September 04, 2009, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you email GPSoftware directly and let them know you're willing to provide a translation for a language not yet covered then they will provide all the necessary requirements to you. In the past translators have been known to get a free license too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version