ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help/Advice with TrueCrypt (and free space wiping)?

<< < (4/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
And how is an absent-minded person going to remember his TrueCrypt passwords? Forgetting those would be a bad thing.
-Innuendo (June 15, 2009, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D Repetition is my friend :Thmbsup:

Another question: I ran Eraser on the flash drive before bed last night (morning, was 3AM when i posted) and when I woke up it said that it had successfully wiped the free space, however it could not delete the folder entries and recommended I run CheckDisk on the drive. Is this something that I should be concerned about at all, and should I really run CD? I've read where some people here at DC have had less-than-positive experiences with it :-\

40hz:
Another question: I ran Eraser on the flash drive before bed last night (morning, was 3AM when i posted) and when I woke up it said that it had successfully wiped the free space, however it could not delete the folder entries and recommended I run CheckDisk on the drive. Is this something that I should be concerned about at all, and should I really run CD?
-wreckedcarzz (June 15, 2009, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I might be a tiny bit concerned. Or would be until after I ran a filecheck just to sure something didn't get hosed on my drive. I know Eraser used to warn about the free space wipe being a quasi-experimental feature. But I thought they had since gotten the kinks worked out.

I'm wondering if that 'warning' you got was because Eraser has the same limitation that SDelete has. SDelete can securely delete file data in the free space, but not the file names. This is because of the way the Windows interfaces with the NTFS directory structure. (Translation: It's not a bug!)

The following from the Sysinternals SDelete page explains it better:

The reason that SDelete does not securely delete file names when cleaning disk free space is that deleting them would require direct manipulation of directory structures. Directory structures can have free space containing deleted file names, but the free directory space is not available for allocation to other files. Hence, SDelete has no way of allocating this free space so that it can securely overwrite it.
--- End quote ---

-----

and should I really run CD? I've read where some people here at DC have had less-than-positive experiences with it
--- End quote ---

As far as chkdsk is concerned, I'm not aware of any problems that can be caused just by running it. I have run into situations where it couldn't fix a problem. But I've never heard of a situation where it actually caused one.

:Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz:
Late reply, have been getting backed up with email (8 accounts and AOL's spam filter sucks big time...) so I forgot about the notification :-[

The flash drive is FAT32, not NTFS, so that limitation would be invalid... correct? I'll run a full Checkdisk on the drive tonight before bed just to make sure.

Deozaan:
Modern-day forensic data recovery software is making remarkable strides in being able to recover data on drives that have been wiped. However, if you come across someone with such software and they have a keen interest in what is on your encrypted volume you will have far larger worries than worrying about someone checking out your passwords.-Innuendo (June 14, 2009, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

This comes to mind:

Innuendo:
Late reply, have been getting backed up with email (8 accounts and AOL's spam filter sucks big time...)-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---

If you are on AOL you've got bigger problems than I thought.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version