ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for P2p file sharing for personal use

<< < (5/22) > >>

kartal:
You could use a distributed versioning system? Probably serious overkill, but free.
-Eóin (June 14, 2009, 07:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I was thinking to use Tortoise(with server setup). I have not tried Git stuff, do you think it is easier to setup(server and client?)

I used tortoise for my projects before but it was only one client no server, I did use for plain file versioning and it was great.

Eóin:
Since you want encryption I'd say combine msysgit, tortoisegit with an ssh server, possibly freeSSHd but I've no experience with others to claim it's best or anything, but it does work.

Sounds like a bit of a hack to combine all three but tortoisegit and msysgit go hand in hand anyway. I use them all the time and love it. freeSSHd worked flawlessly for me in past for PuTTY console and tunneling access, since git can talk over ssh directly it works fine through tortoisegit. Git as a versioning system does take some getting used to though, I found it very different from Subversion, but now feel making the change was well worth it. Still may be overkill for your purposes.

kartal:
Thanks for the short tutorial, I will definetely check out.

4wd:
Doesn't creating/using an SVN imply a central repository?

If that's the case, isn't it easier to use rsync?

It's included with all Linux distros, here's a Windows GUI version, (there's probably other builds available).

Transfers are encrypted and only the parts of files that have changed are transferred.

Just set up a server on your central repository and poll it with a client from the other machines.

Some features of rsync include

* can update whole directory trees and filesystems
    * optionally preserves symbolic links, hard links, file ownership, permissions, devices and times
    * requires no special privileges to install
    * internal pipelining reduces latency for multiple files
    * can use rsh, ssh or direct sockets as the transport
    * supports anonymous rsync which is ideal for mirroring
--- End quote ---

I would think the last feature is the best match for what you require since syncing is equivalent to mirroring.

Innuendo:
Kartal, I'd suggest the last freeware version of PowerFolder (PowerFolder Basic), but I just found out that it doesn't have the encryption features that one can only get from the commercial Pro version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version