ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for P2p file sharing for personal use

<< < (4/22) > >>

Innuendo:
From the homepage, kartal:

One synchronization software provides all these solutions

* Sync data between your desktop PC and laptop (notebook).
    * Replicate and back-up data between your home and office computers.
    * Synchronize more than two directories.
    * Update and back-up files over a local network or the Internet.
--- End quote ---

kartal:
From the homepage, kartal:

One synchronization software provides all these solutions

* Sync data between your desktop PC and laptop (notebook).
    * Replicate and back-up data between your home and office computers.
    * Synchronize more than two directories.
    * Update and back-up files over a local network or the Internet.
--- End quote ---
-Innuendo (June 14, 2009, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Innuendo, you need to set up an ftp server on both sides to use this thing considering that one of my comps is a netbook, I hesitate choosing ftp server as a solution. I already use Syncback and it has superior ftp sync. Sorry I did not articulate my point enough. If I have to choose the ftp path I can always use http://www.webdrive.com/ or some other free alternatives. As I mentioned I am looking for more intuitive solution.

On the otherhand I am not sure if there is a way to encrypt the data on the ftp server or during the trasnsfer that is another reason why I do not want ftp solution.

It also offers amazon etc stuff but those would cost me more than I would pay for software solutions.

Innuendo:
Even PowerFolder relies on online storage to achieve its functions. The only difference is you are using their servers instead of your own FTP server or a webDAV-type account.

It seems that in this corner of the software market the simpler and more intuitive you wish it to be the more you are going to have to pay. I've searched pretty extensively over the last couple days. What you want, with the ease of use you want, coupled with what you want to pay does not appear to exist.

kartal:
Even PowerFolder relies on online storage to achieve its functions. The only difference is you are using their servers instead of your own FTP server or a webDAV-type account.

It seems that in this corner of the software market the simpler and more intuitive you wish it to be the more you are going to have to pay. I've searched pretty extensively over the last couple days. What you want, with the ease of use you want, coupled with what you want to pay does not appear to exist.
-Innuendo (June 14, 2009, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually Powerfolder does not rely on online service to share and sync data. PF can connect to peers either on the network or over the internet. Online storage is just one of the options they offer. The powerfolder servers might get involved if the handshaking between peers has been unsuccessful. That i think works much like p2p servers which Pf wolders just provide routing of the client ip, rest is done PF client to client.

To me pay is not the real issue until certain amount. I was just looking for a free option if it exists, if it does not I will see what I can pay for.  

Thank you for searches and suggestions. I was just wondering if anyone on DC forum successfully has used file sharing the way I wanted.

Eóin:
You could use a distributed versioning system? Probably serious overkill, but free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version