ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for P2p file sharing for personal use

<< < (2/22) > >>

Innuendo:
Hamachi.

app103:
Why not set up something like Xerver on each PC the files are located on (non-GUI mode is light as a feather), and disable access to the port you run it on in your router so it won't be accessible from the internet?

This is how I share a lot of stuff with my daughter.

She can just visit page hosted on my PC and take what she wants or needs.

Don't let the fact it's Java based deter you with thoughts that it will be all slow and bloated.

I have been using it for a long time, and even on my old 233mhz, 64mb ram Win9x machine, in non-GUI mode, I can't even tell it's running unless someone hits me up for a file. Even then, the only reason I know is because I can hear the disk activity (old noisy hd) and I take a hit on the available bandwidth on the 33.6k dialup it's using. But while it does lag the internet connection it doesn't lag my system at all.

Since you would be using it behind a router and not on the internet with really slow dialup, it's not too likely you'd take the same kind of bandwidth hit that I do on that machine. I certainly don't on the machines I have running it and connected to the router.

kartal:
Eóin, it sounds good but it did not work on my network(one of my machines is 64bit, that might be the reason)

Innuendo, Hamachi`s licence is as expensive as powerfolders also I believe it requires user registration as well.(1 year 40$ per licences, I am thinking to sync 7 computers)

app103, that method is fine if your download is static, ie just someone downloads something from you, you download stuff from them once in a while. My problem is not sharing couple files with other people. I have some many computers and some of the stuff needs to stay in sync and I cannot afford cumbersome methods(copy, delete, figure out what was updated etc) to keep things in sync.  I already use http file server for small stuff but again that is not good for bidirectional stuff.

Innuendo:
katal, the core engine is freeware & I think it only costs money to use if you use it with the LogMeIn service. You can always get an older version from FileHippo or OldVersions from before LogMeIn bought them out.

Lashiec:
I have some many computers and some of the stuff needs to stay in sync and I cannot afford cumbersome methods(copy, delete, figure out what was updated etc) to keep things in sync.  I already use http file server for small stuff but again that is not good for bidirectional stuff.
-kartal (June 12, 2009, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe SyncToy, then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version