ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for P2p file sharing for personal use

<< < (11/22) > >>

kartal:
Sorry man, I think my question was not clear enough. I meant the "frost" client. Do I need to use Frost to use Freenet? Is Freenet client safe  as it is, or is Frost more secure than Freenet?
-kartal (June 17, 2009, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. I misunderstood. :-[

You don't need to use Frost per sce. But Frost is what gives us all the additional features you usually get with newsgroups (messaging, discussion threads, easy file upload/download, etc.)

I probably should have mentioned that Frost now comes bundled into the current Freenet installer.

I like to read as much possible about something before I install it. If you're like me, take a look at their wiki:

http://wiki.freenetproject.org/HomePage

Especially good is their First Timer's Handbook:

http://wiki.freenetproject.org/FirstTimersHandBook

You'll want to look at that since it has very clear instructions on how to add friendly nodes to your network.

Hope all this was helpful. :)
-40hz (June 18, 2009, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok I got this thing working between 2 computers. I managed to create a message board that both comps can see. But I cannot figure out file sharing inisde Frost. I selected folders to share, enabled uploads etc. But how do other computer can see the uploads?

40hz:
Hey! You got it running! Cool...

File sharing with Frost works much like sharing does in newsgroups - except you don't actually need to upload the files first - although you can if you want to.

You advertise shares, which then can be requested by anybody on your private net. Frost takes care of the details of getting the file (either from cache or from the advertising machine) and delivering it to the requester. It's not like a classic filesharing system.

How do I share files?

Filesharing works different in Frost than in other apps. You don't upload files to other users, but put them in Freenet.
When you select which files or directories to share on the "Shared files" tab, Frost advertises them to other users. Then when someone asks for a specific file, Frost uploads it to Freenet and the other user gets it from there.
--- End quote ---

(Note: substitute the phrase "Your Network" for "Freenet" since you'll be running a private net and not using public nodes.)

Take a look at the Frost Wiki.  ( http://jtcfrost.wiki.sourceforge.net/ ) It will explain how it works and also how to use it.

To add additional computers to your net, you need to install Freenet on each of those machines.

See the section How To Add Known Friends on this page for directions:

http://wiki.freenetproject.org/FirstTimersHandBook

or here for a more detailed explanation:

http://wiki.freenetproject.org/FreenetConnections

Keep in mind that this is a P2P application. Think torrent. A lot of people forget that because Frost sometimes makes it feel like you're on a centralized server. One of the people in our net once described it as BitTorrent wedded to a news server. It's not really an accurate analogy, but it gets the idea across.

:)

kartal:
4wd

I am now trying openvpn. I have setup everythong like you said but I am getting an error(in the console) on the client it says
"No server certificate verification method has been enabled"

Also it looks like client1.crt and server.crt files are 0kb
Any ideas?

4wd:
Also it looks like client1.crt and server.crt files are 0kb
Any ideas?-kartal (July 06, 2009, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not saying it is, (but it has happened to me), it looks like you failed to enter exactly the same Common Name as you called the batch files with, it's possible that an error was generated when you created the keys/certs but you didn't notice among the DOS output:

Generate certificate & key for server

Next, we will generate a certificate and private key for the server. On Windows:

build-key-server server

As in the previous step, most parameters can be defaulted. When the Common Name is queried, enter "server". Two other queries require positive responses, "Sign the certificate? [y/n]" and "1 out of 1 certificate requests certified, commit? [y/n]".

Generate certificates & keys for 1 client

Generating client certificates is very similar to the previous step. On Windows:

build-key client1

Remember that for each client, make sure to type the appropriate Common Name when prompted, i.e. "client1". Always use a unique common name for each client.
--- End quote ---

* I removed any reference to more than 1 client in the above to make it a bit clearer.

You need to follow the instructions in Setting up your own Certificate Authority (CA) and generating certificates and keys for an OpenVPN server and multiple clients pretty much word for word.

So the order of events for Windows should be:

1 ) open up a Command Prompt window and cd to \Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa
2 ) init-config
3 ) edit the vars.bat file to set location/email defaults (or skip this step and just use the given ones if you don't care)
4 ) vars
5 ) clean-all
6 ) build-ca  (default answers normally but enter something at Common Name query - use the same as they do OpenVPN-CA)
7 ) build-key-server server  (enter server at Common Name and answer y to "Sign the certificate? [y/n]" and "1 out of 1 certificate requests certified, commit? [y/n]")
8 ) build-key client1  (same answers as (7) but enter client1 at Common Name)
9 ) build-dh

This should give you all the necessary keys/certs for a simple 1 server/1 client VPN, so it only remains to copy them to their respective config directories.

If you do it again and it still happens, copy the output from all the steps above to a text file and then attach it to a post and I'll see if I can spot anything.
Otherwise, later today I'll set up OpenVPN again, (had to restore my OS from an old image due to cleaning one too many things out driver-wise :-[ ), and generate a complete keys directory for a server/client and you can try that.

Addendum: Following the steps above, (except step 3), I've generated server/client1 keys/certs/config that work here.  You'll need to edit client.ovpn and replace 192.168.0.128 with the LAN IP of your OpenVPN server.  Otherwise just delete the config directories you have and replace with these.

I've also attached the DOS output from generating the certs/keys so you can compare with yours and a ping to show it really does work  :)

kartal:
4wd

thank you so much I will try asap. If you have not given these detailed instructions I would have never taken this challange. I will let you know and thanks for your time.

Btw I actually tried the instructions on the site word by word but I will try again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version