ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for P2p file sharing for personal use

<< < (6/22) > >>

kartal:
Kartal, I'd suggest the last freeware version of PowerFolder (PowerFolder Basic), but I just found out that it doesn't have the encryption features that one can only get from the commercial Pro version.
-Innuendo (June 15, 2009, 09:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which is what I use at the moment.

Thank you all for the suggestions. As usual I am looking for solutions that have been used and tested by DC members :) I appreciate that some of you were trying to find a solution but the thing is that suggesting application names does not cut it for me. I need a proven used method so that I can also bug you about how you set it up, like Eóin`s setup. The reason I do ask for opinion here is that I need proven methods. None of us has hundreds of free hours to jump from test to test, trial to trial.

Trust me I have exploited all the solutions everyone mentioned  here and more over the years except Eóin`s solution which I have not done due to central repository aspect as 4wd mentioned. But it looks like that is one of the viable methods that can be a good alternative to Powerfolder solution.

I actually wanted to try out the latest commercial version of Powerfolder yesterday  but I just saw that it is a crippled trialware which I hate personally, again I gave up on that one due to this silly desicion made by the developers. What is the frigging point of offering a crippled trialware that is not much diffferent than the last free version really? That is plain sillyness in my view.

So far solutions

-Install ftp servers on all computers and use ftp syncing. I use Syncback for my local network stuff and it does a superior job.

-Try Powerfolder and deal with retarded crippled trialware

-Go with svn-git server setup

-try hamachi one more time( It does not work in my network, it could not even assign ip to itself). I probably wont use this one mainly because their help files were no helpful and I already wasted over 4 hours on it

-I want to try WASTE again, but the documentation is sparse. I am not sure if the problem was my setup or it was WASTE-router issues. It sure did not work in my internal network. Maybe someone can give me a lead on this one

-Dc++, again it did not work on my local network, it sounds retarded that I need to open router ports use it on my local network. Tried, no success

-I did use Groove in the past(before MS bought it) as a small team management. Has anyone tested it. I think it is a good alternative since it lets you sync individual  folders unlike Collaber and Collanos.

Innuendo:
kartal, the method I have always used was RemotelyAnywhere & that's the only advice I could impart, but it's commercial software & it'd be way overkill for what you want to do.

kartal:
kartal, the method I have always used was RemotelyAnywhere & that's the only advice I could impart, but it's commercial software & it'd be way overkill for what you want to do.
-Innuendo (June 15, 2009, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it like charged up VNC? I have never used it really.

4wd:
One other suggestion that I have used and that has been mentioned here on DC before: Yadis! Backup

All you'd need to do is set it up on the machine, (assuming it's Windows), housing the central repository and then create jobs for each machine it has to sync to.  You could assign all the tasks to one group so that they can be scheduled if necessary, or run manually.

It watches the directory and as soon as a file/folder appears it will try and send them to the other machines.  If a machine is not turned on, it will queue the transfer and as soon as the path exists it will start transferring.

I know it will handle LAN addressing using '\\client1\incoming' type addresses but I'm not sure about internet but you could always tunnel it through Hamachi which will give you encryption as well.

It monitors creation and change events by default but you can also set it to monitor deletions.

It's also absurdly simple to set up tasks and assign them to a group.

As a bonus, you could also use it for one half of the PDF printing thing.  It transfers any PDF to the physical print machine as soon as it's saved into a default directory by the PDF printer.  You only need a program on the other end to then watch the directory and print any new PDFs.

Innuendo:
Is it like charged up VNC? I have never used it really.-kartal
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's like a super-charged VNC. It's jam-packed full of features and if you have a decent broadband connection it's like the remote PC is right in front of you. Again, way overkill for your needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version