ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for P2p file sharing for personal use

<< < (21/22) > >>

kartal:
Hey guys

I have found this awesome tutorial that lets you access and map shared drives on another distant(or local) computer over SSH tunneling. It actually worked for me :)

You can then use any syncing application to sync your files.I already have Openvpn network(thanks 4wd and shades) but having one more option is always good incase one fails when you are away from your network.

I normally was using Winscp, Tunnelier or straight console to access copy files when Vpn was not available. But thing is that, that way synicng application does not work. When you have a mapped drive then any good folder syncing application would get things going. And this is probably as good as those sftp drive mapping softwares.

Hmm come to think of I might be able to map my website`s ftp server as well. I will try it today.

http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php

jgpaiva:
I believe what you really are looking for is a Distributed File System such as Andrew File Systemw. This would sync your files across all of your computers, and create a virtual disk which would by shared by them all (and cached locally as you access each file).
I know people who use it a lot at the research unit I'm at, and it's extremely useful when you have several machines and lots of data.
I believe it also manages the replication of data, which would help with backups.

HOWEVER, from what I know, it's quite a pain in the *** to configure and manage. Expert computer science investigators have had quite some trouble with it :)
I'm just presenting this because someone might know a very similar solution that doesn't cause so many problems.

[edit] I'm sorry if I'm suggesting something totally unrelated, as I only skimmed through the thread and didn't read all posts. If I am, please disregard this post :) [/edit]

Shades:
Don't worry, your suggestion leads to a very interesting subject (to me at least). Thanks  :Thmbsup:

jgpaiva:
I'm glad you find it interesting, shades!
I really really like the idea, and it's pretty very used in the scientific community (for example: clusters have support for distributed systems, so that you can always access the data to be processed as if it was stored locally).

From what I understand, the semantics with concurrency are not as strong as locally (sometimes strange stuff may happen if you access the same file in two places at the same time.. But that's not particularly surprising :P).
Still, for someone with several computers and data shared among them, this looks like one of the best solutions out there.

please don't forget that this is not beginners stuff, bad use may lead to data loss

40hz:
Don't worry, your suggestion leads to a very interesting subject (to me at least). Thanks  :Thmbsup:
-Shades (August 23, 2009, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

@jgpavia  I'm +1 with shades on that.

Thanks for bringing AFS to our attention. This is the first time I've heard about it. Much appreciated. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version