ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

SOLVED: Enable 'drag+drop' of text into Win7's Start-Menu Search Box

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lefax32:
 :-[ sorry, I was going to come back and reply, I was just a bit too tired when I looked in to get the keyboard - (HDTV). lol

Okay, I used AutoHotKey. I have no idea how I even managed to get as far as I did, because I have never used it before and am not familiar with programming!

This is what I put in it,

#O::
{
  send ^c
  send #F
   send ^v
}   
Return

Hey, PASTY works, really well that is so awesome.  :Thmbsup: Did you just add the Start Search thing? Thank You!

It' not drag and drop, but that's probably better because drag takes a little while to open the start button. I should be able to put the shortcut key in a mouse button as I don't always have the keyboard handy. Going to test it out some more now.

Thanks again! 

MilesAhead:
Sure.  Hope it works for you. :)

I already had other utilities that used a hotkey to paste into another search app.  But I didn't think of setting Windows Search as the default.  Good idea. So I just whipped this one together from bits and pieces.  :)

MilesAhead:
Lefax32 if you are still reading.. you may want to download v. 1.2 of Pasty just in case you want to use it on XP.  I had forgotten that the Start Menu setup was changed in Vista. In 1.2 if it finds OS < Vista and the search hotkey is Control Esc then it tries to paste into the Run line in the XP start menu.  I think this version of AutoIt3 I'm using doesn't support earlier than XP anyway, so if OS is earlier than Vista I just assume it's XP and send an 'r' to open the Run line before pasting.

All other cases it should act the same in XP, Vista, Windows7.  It assumes the window opened by the search hotkey will have the caret in the input line waiting for text to be typed.

Lefax32:
Yes, I am still here, haven't run off! Thanks so so much for this wonderful little program and all your help and updates.  :-*

I've been having issues with Logitechs' Setpoint Software. If I create a shortcut (I do it before I set it in Pasty) in Logitech Setpoint for a mouse button, it adds it, I save and quit. Then I reopen to check its still there and it is. But it keeps remembering and acting on the old shortcut I had in there, which was CTRL-W (I used it to close the tabs in Firefox).  :huh:

But this is to do with Setpoint and not Pasty. Pasty works great. I'll keep trying to get Setpoint to co-operate.

Oh I'm curious, does Pasty run on startup?

MilesAhead:
Oh I'm curious, does Pasty run on startup?

-Lefax32 (June 18, 2009, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, it has no settings other than remembering its hotkey, the search hotkey, and the "Vista color" if you have Glass enabled on your system(Vista/Windows7).

To get it to start with windows just drag a shortcut to the Startup folder in the Start menu. A short while ago I was doing installers with all my apps with options for run on startup, put in Quick Launch etc.. but most people seem nowadays to prefer "portable" or "no install" stuff.  Smaller downloads and just delete the folder to take it off the system.  I have to go through all the apps on my hotkeys page and get rid of unnecessary installers and whatnot.. but for the most part, the apps on the hotkeys page save settings to an .ini file in the same folder as the .exe. I don't think any of those use the Registry.

Usually I note it in the readme if it doesn't use registry but that may not be 100%.  One of the chores I have to get back to is making all that consistent. Sometimes getting the readme info exactly right is tougher than making the program work.  Guess that's why a lot of freeware comes with zero documentation. :)

btw - glad you like the program. It's nice to know someone uses some of my gizmos. If you find a bug or have some other feedback feel free to send email to my site address.  There's a contact button on my page that displays contact emails.  :)

http://www.favessoft.com/contact.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version