ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

SOLVED: Enable 'drag+drop' of text into Win7's Start-Menu Search Box

(1/3) > >>

Lefax32:
1. DRAG DROP TO WINDOWS START MENU SEARCH BOX: On Windows 7, I’d like to be able to drag selected text from any application (word, browsers etc) and drop it into the Windows Search Box (in Start Menu). When I try this, I select and drag the text, hover over the start button to open it and drag the text to the Search Box, but a ‘circle with slash’ icon appears, blocking me from dropping the text.

2. DRAG DROP TO TASKBAR SEARCH ICON: Also, to expand on this idea, I think this would be even handier -  to be able to drag the selected text and drop it on a 'search' icon on the taskbar. That would automatically do the search in a) Windows Start Menu Search Box (and automatically pop open the start menu to show the results!) or b) Windows Search Window (and automatically open the results).

3. CONTEXT MENU ITEM TO SEARCH FOR WORD: [ETA] I've just thought another way to conduct the search would be by highlighting the word and right-click context menu will show a menu item for "Search with Windows Search". Then automatically do the search on that word and display the results.
[Bonus, would be if I could search with a "Saved Search" in Windows Search Window (you can save the folders  you want to search. Just discovered it!) ]

Does anyone think this could be achieved at all? Or is there a script that already exists for it?
I’d really appreciate any help,  even if you have some tips on how to go about it (if it’s indeed possible).

Thanks

Lefax32:
Oh I'm trying this myself. It's a bit tricky.

Idea: Shortcut key -> copies contents to clipboad -> Opens Windows Search -> Pastes clipboard contents -> selects enter.

But it's not working in Win7... worked OK in XP... Can I ask for help here, of why it would not work on Win7? Or is this the wrong place?

MilesAhead:
What programming language are you using? ahk, autoit, other?
Have you checked using the Window Info thingy that the stuff for W7 is the same?

If this is the wrong place mouser will probably banish us to the off topic dungeon. :)

MilesAhead:
Where'd you go?  I was only joking about mouser banishing us. :)

MilesAhead:
I didn't try the drag & drop, but since I had recently done a copy/paste into an external search engine that opened with a hotkey, I thought I'd try a TraySitter hotkey that just copies selected text, opens the search engine, then pastes it, when you hit the utility hotkey.  You control which search engine gets the paste by the search hotkey.

I call the utility Pasty.  The Tray Icon Menu has commands to change both the Pasty hotkey and the hotkey for the external search app.  The default settings are Shift Esc for Pasty and Control Esc for the search engine.  So out of the box, if you highlight text in an editor or your browser, and hit Shift Esc, it should open Windows Search and paste the text.  I don't hit Enter because I wouldn't want to launch some executable without giving the user a chance to see what it is before firing it off.

I hope it's close you what you are looking for.  Here's the page:
http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

just scroll down a bit to the heading for Pasty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version