ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your prefered source of registry tweaks?

<< < (2/6) > >>

J-Mac:
Black Viper is pretty good about saying exactly what each tweak does and why HE uses it, and warns you to make sure you are not removing a service you will use. And to NOT tweak any of it if you are not experienced enough to know the difference!

8)

Jim

theredgiant:
The best source

The complete guide to Windows Registry in an easy searchable format

f0dder:
I've only really used Process Monitor (and regmon before that) to manually discover which registry keys were affected by changing settings. Boring manual labor, yes, but at least you know the information is accurate then... unlike so many of those system tweak guides that are based on urban legends.

Innuendo:
So very true, f0dder. One misstep in the registry and your computer is not going to boot anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what the allure is with editing the registry on modern Windows systems. Vista and Windows 7 have optimized defaults for most things and mucking around in there when you only have half a clue (I'm looking at you, Black Viper!) is just going to degrade system performance.

Back in the days of Windows 3.11 and Win95, sure...if you wanted a decent performing system you were tweaking the crap out of the registry, but these days it's just not needed unless you have specific wants/needs.

tinjaw:
I've only really used Process Monitor (and regmon before that) to manually discover which registry keys were affected by changing settings.
-f0dder (June 13, 2009, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good idea. I hadn't really though about that. I could filter on the application I was about to make a change in and see what it changes in the registry. Reversing the action in the GUI should see a revertation (new word!  :P ) of the appropriate registry key. I could then script it and see if it had the desired event. Yes, manual labor, but would be valuable knowledge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version