ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IE to be removed from Windows 7 in EU

<< < (5/6) > >>

fenixproductions:
Seriously, how difficult is to display a window the first time the user tries to access the Internet showing all the possible alternatives (there are not so many after all)?-Lashiec (June 13, 2009, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Numbers depends on what we can consider as separate browser but for any rules there are many of them. We all know it's not hard to write such window but different thing is a problem here: how strongly officials can control someone's private business. They can demand to remove something. That's for sure but including software from other companies?

I know I am repeating the same words over and over again but I cannot simply believe that no one see it's wrong.

I've also read comments from other sites and one thing hit me: when someone gives Apple with Safari to be criticised too, there are responses which can be simplified to "Apple is not a problem because they are small. MS is big and its influence to market is disturbing. That is why it should be controlled.". And now the question is: different rules for different players? Embedding IE is wrong but it's OK for Safari because Apple is "too small"? WTF? Can it be money problem only? Do they expect bribe or what? I don't really understand such fuzzy logic.

Lashiec:
They can demand to remove something. That's for sure but including software from other companies?
-fenixproductions (June 13, 2009, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, OEMs litter Windows installations with tons of unrelated software :P. No, but I understand your point. Actually, China is in the news these days for the requirement they put on all computers sold there to include software to monitor user behaviour block pr0n, although all the major computers makers are "unaware" of the issue (i.e. not commenting). And, while not related to private businesses, one of the provisions of the infamous HADOPI law in France was to apparently require installation of spy software to monitor Internet connections. That is, we know what happens when we let politicians run free.

I've also read comments from other sites and one thing hit me: when someone gives Apple with Safari to be criticised too, there are responses which can be simplified to "Apple is not a problem because they are small. MS is big and its influence to market is disturbing. That is why it should be controlled.". And now the question is: different rules for different players? Embedding IE is wrong but it's OK for Safari because Apple is "too small"? WTF? Can it be money problem only? Do they expect bribe or what? I don't really understand such fuzzy logic.

--- End quote ---

I think the response is mostly related to the unlikeness of the EU (or any other government) to accept the complaint based on its tiny market share. Although, based on Asa Dotzler frequent remarks, Mozilla wouldn't have a problem filling it. Apple is also a very peculiar case, as they're selling what it's essentially a PC as an appliance under their rules, a good example of going against them being the Psystar case. It would be equivalent to gamepad makers complaining about the proprietary wireless protocol standard XBOX 360 pads use.

fenixproductions:
Hey, OEMs litter Windows installations with tons of unrelated software :P.-Lashiec (June 13, 2009, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
They are making it for free? Is it still MS or hardware manufacturers' fault?

I think the response is mostly related to the unlikeness of the EU (or any other government) to accept the complaint based on its tiny market share. Although, based on Asa Dotzler frequent remarks, Mozilla wouldn't have a problem filling it. Apple is also a very peculiar case, as they're selling what it's essentially a PC as an appliance under their rules, a good example of going against them being the Psystar case. It would be equivalent to gamepad makers complaining about the proprietary wireless protocol standard XBOX 360 pads use.-Lashiec (June 13, 2009, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm. I think that it should either be problem for producer (MS, Apple, whatever) what to have in their products or to treat everyone in the same way, no matter how big you are. That is all.

Everyone forgot what was the main reason here: MS probably did bad things with distributors contracting. If that is true, they should be punished for that. And only for that. What is happening now seems to be the case of looking for anything just for the sake of punishment. Well, Al Capone was never sentenced for neither murder nor theft but… taxes fraud ;)

scancode:
How does one get on the internet to download an alternate browser if there is no browser installed with the OS?
-mouser (June 12, 2009, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

C:\Firefox>ftp releases.mozilla.org
Connected to releases.geo.mozilla.com.
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
User (releases.geo.mozilla.com:(none)): anonymous
331 Please specify the password.
Password:[anything]
230 Login successful.
ftp> cd mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0.11/win32/en-US/
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> binary
200 Switching to Binary mode.
ftp> get "Firefox Setup 3.0.11.exe"
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Firefox Setup 3.0.11.exe (7545512 bytes).
226 File send OK.
ftp: 7545512 bytes received in 71,30 seconds at 105,83 KB/s.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

C:\Firefox>"Firefox Setup 3.0.11.exe"

Works for me ;)

wraith808:
But does the average user know how to do that?  I think we all know the answer is no.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version