ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IE to be removed from Windows 7 in EU

(1/6) > >>

Josh:
Microsoft's plan to strip out its Internet Explorer (IE) browser from Windows 7 in Europe, due for sale in the fall, is designed to force the European Commission's hand as it devises an antitrust remedy to restore fair competition in the browser market, said Jon von Tetzchner, the CEO of Norwegian browser maker Opera.

"Microsoft is trying to set the remedy itself by stripping out IE," he said in a phone interview Friday.

Opera complained to the Commission about the bundling of IE in Windows in 2007. The complaint sparked an antitrust probe that resulted in formal charges of monopoly abuse in January this year.
--- End quote ---

Source

Microsoft's Statement regarding IE8 in Windows 7 in Europe

fenixproductions:
Sometimes I'd really like to hear from MS mouths: "Because of EC recommendations, selling Windows in EU is not profitable so… Win7 (and others which will follow) will not be sold in EU." ;)

Seriously, that would be the only way to wake them up. They would realize what does "crisis" really mean then.

4wd:
I'd like to see them sell a version to the rest of the world that doesn't include IE, WMP or OE (Mail) - that would save me having to do it using nlite/vlite.

I'd order in one from the EU except the prices there and the postage is so ridiculously marked-up it's not worth it.

Eóin:
Sometimes I'd really like to hear from MS mouths: "Because of EC recommendations, selling Windows in EU is not profitable so… Win7 (and others which will follow) will not be sold in EU." ;)-fenixproductions (June 12, 2009, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure the EU is a bigger market for MS than USA, they couldn't dare risk pulling out. And if they want to do business here then must abide by the rules same as everyone else.

Shades:
As I understand it MS should have made Windows 7 less dependent on IE and include some other browsers (FireFox, Opera, Chrome) next to the IE icons. More MS does not need to do in Win 7 (for their EU customers at least).   

It's all about choice and a (more) open market in the EU mindset.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version