ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IE to be removed from Windows 7 in EU

<< < (2/6) > >>

fenixproductions:
As I understand it MS should have made Windows 7 less dependent on IE and include some other browsers (FireFox, Opera, Chrome) next to the IE icons. More MS does not need to do in Win 7 (for their EU customers at least).-Shades (June 12, 2009, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really think Opera will get into list because their market share might not be big enough. And what about other IE based "browsers" (i.e. Maxthon)?

It's all about choice and a (more) open market in the EU mindset.-Shades (June 12, 2009, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Choice was never an issue. People do not like to choose from too many options. If they do, they already know about alternatives and do not use IE (as browser) at all.

This is rather just EC show of to prove what they can do. They did it once already discussing how much curved bananas should be.

I think that from Opera side it is just stupid attempt to have free advertisement within Windows or just stupid blaming other for their own failures. How could it be that their succeeded on mobile devices (no competition) but can't do anything for desktop? Their browser exist longer than Firefox and they did absolutely nothing to get better popularity.

I don't know about other users but I will definitely resign from using Opera on the day they will be shipped inside MS stuff. That will be my own small protest against idiocy.

Eóin:
This is rather just EC show of to prove what they can do. They did it once already discussing how much curved bananas should be.-fenixproductions (June 12, 2009, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know why you assume such maliciousness. The EU has anti-monopoly laws to maintain competition within the market. MS broke those laws and got fined. It's not about throwing weight around.

And that banana thing was blown out of proportion. The original truth is nothing like the story reported in blogs and the media, no surprise there.

PPLandry:
If I were in MS shoes, instead of pulling IE out of Windows (as it is so much part of the OS), I would just include FireFox, Opera and Chrome with Windows. It is IMHO a much more elegant solution to this issue.

mouser:
This is ridiculous.

How does one get on the internet to download an alternate browser if there is no browser installed with the OS?

Instead of pulling IE out of Windows (as it is so much part of the OS), I would just include FireFox, Opera and Chrome with Windows. It is IMHO a much more elegant solution to this issue.
--- End quote ---

That's a nicer idea.

The whole anti-monopoly thing against MS seems a bit nostalgic at this stage.. Poor microsoft seems on it's last leg and not that steady.. And I have a feeling that if MS tried the hard-sell, cross-product-toolbar-installing type behavior of google, or the paranoia-level control over stuff of Apple, they would be attacked as monsters.

I'm not saying Microsoft doesn't deserve all the anti-trust litigation that it brought upon itself, i'm just saying that since these lawsuits all got started, the state of play has changed so dramatically that this is getting a bit silly now.

Let's just hope all the anti-trust lawyers are prepared to use copy-and-paste and re-use these lawsuit filings against google and apple in the next few years when the need arises.  ;D

4wd:
How does one get on the internet to download an alternate browser if there is no browser installed with the OS?-mouser (June 12, 2009, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Go to a newsagent and grab any PC magazine with a cover disc?
Include a magazine with cover disc with all Windows install discs?

They should install the fastest browser available so that people can download what they want: Off By One, Lynx or Links.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version