topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR Plugin: TinyEV (Everything integration) - 0.9.5 - 12 June 2009 (updated)  (Read 99293 times)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i can confirm that running FARR "as administrator" allows the Everything plugin to work correctly. So, i'll probably just use this method.

Okay, what am I doing wrong here? I've got everything running with admin rights and I also have FARR running as admin (See screenshot). I still can't get this plugin to talk to Everything.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/edbro9/everything.jpg
FARR Plugin: TinyEV (Everything integration) - 0.9.5 - 12 June 2009 (updated)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I am late to the party, but can I make a drink request?  :)

I don't like when too  much stuff is running in the background and keep my system very clean. FARR is an exception, because it is such a great app.

Therefore would it be possible to make Tineev start "Everything" when invoked by FARR hotkey, and close "Everything" when the FARR window is hidden again?

Could you add a path entry in the ini file where the "Everything" path can be entered, in case "Everything" does not run in the background, so it can be started automatically.

And another ini option to close "Everything" when FARR goes to sleep - please, pretty please!?  ;)

That would be cool!  :Thmbsup:

Regards,

Brahman
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:32 PM by brahman »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
is there a possibility that apps launched from the search get added to Farr's history?

rojer_31

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can't get this to work in Win 7 x64. I am not running everything as a service but the plugin is simply not detecting thst evernote is running.

If it works for someone else on win 7, can they help out?

Also, everything supports ETP/FTP and http protocol, so if the plugin uses a protocol, wouldn't it be more standardised and work on more systems?

Thangaraj

valenock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Win7 x86 - bad luck, the same as above

IMHO, the problem is that everything is running with elevated rights meanwhile FARR is user mode.
IPC can be pretty tricky in such cases although it can be fixed anyway.

implementing ETP support would be nice anyway, I'd like to have aliases like:
ev - search local
ev2 - search home NAS
ev3 - search work NAS through VPN

waiting for an update as soon as you have time

jononny

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it possible to use regular expressions in the search query? It doesn't seem like it... that would be pretty useful though.

Acck, nevermind, just read the first post again  :P

Gosh this is the most useful thing ever!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:15 PM by jononny »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I successfully changed "ev" to "kittens", works just fine.
So, now we have to launch FARR with the paws key?
-cranioscopical (June 11, 2009, 02:29 PM)

ATT005846.gif

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm guilty of using farr much less because of everything's speed... If only the integration between both was even better. One of the biggest problem for all of us non-"Anglo Saxons" is probably the various characters which aren't supported by farr :

Also, the swedish characters "åäö" aren't displayed in the results correctly
I'll have to look into hacking some Unicode support into the plugin. Problem is that mouser said that FARR isn't Unicode aware, which complicates things...

If this could be solved it would be a big step forward.

Everything can be used very easily with a keyboard shortcut though, without going through farr. But it's definitely more elegant and convenient to display results in the farr window for launching and various other operations (alias stuff, copy target path, etc.)

[...] Two other things would be extremely useful:

1. an ini option to let FARR's alias recognition override the results.
example: if the alias "xyz" exists and the user types "ev xyz" then the alias takes priority (just like in a regular FARR search).
2. a hotkey or alias to switch search folder filtering on/off (and some visual cue like a statusbar text)

If we had 1 & 2 then then next step would be to have the plugin handle all searches in FARR.

I couldn't agree more...

omaedon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it possible to have different search results limit when activating the Everything plugin? Currently, I only let FARR search for *.lnk files and use the Everything plugin to search for everything else. I only let 5 results show on any FARR search in order to make it speedy. This 5 result limit is also active when I do a search with Everything which really isn't enough.  I tried typing +sall after the initial search, but it just searches for "+sall" instead. A means of extending the number of search results after the initial Everything search or having different search result limits for the Everything plugin would be superb.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
it is easy for a plugin to tell farr how many results to show max and overide the farr default -- maybe a nice option to add to the next version of the plugin.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What an incredible plugin.  I really like FARR but now with this it just elevated it to the top of the class.

I have been trying to make FARR and the ev plugin search the offline files folder stored in this path: %Windir%\CSC but it doesn't do it.  I redirect the My Documents folder to the server so if I am at home it won't find anything.

I have added the path, %Windir%\CSC to the "list search folder" but it still doesn't find anything.

What am I missing here??  by the way I am using XP SP3

thanks
dave 

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have been trying to make FARR and the ev plugin search the offline files folder stored in this path: %Windir%\CSC but it doesn't do it.  I redirect the My Documents folder to the server so if I am at home it won't find anything.

to be able to search networked drives, there is a FAQ item on the Everything website. you might want to try those steps.

fwoncn

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi aks. I use both FARR and Everything. Thank you for connecting them together.
But I have found it doesn't support non-ASCII input. For example, I'm a Chinese user, and it doesn't recognize Chinese characters.
Both FARR and Everything works well with Chinese characters on my system.

mawi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TinyEv cant find unicode - 'åäö' items?
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40 AM »
Hello,

I just want to +1 on the unicode support.

My problem is not with the results but that you cannot search for an item with unicode characters. It will not find it. Example "ära möte" will not work. It hangs and does not work.

mawi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TInyEV works differently with partials
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 06:42 AM »
I work for leadway, so alot of stuff has leadway in the name - folders, filenames ,etc

Searching for "eadway" in everything works fine, but using tinyev, e g "ev eadway" causes farr to hang momentarily and then the results list is quite different (even disregarding that folders are not displayed).

Is this due to FARR filtering, or something?

Best!

/marcus

mawi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TinyEV does not list folders
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 06:45 AM »
I dont know why but I cant seem to get folders to display in the search results... results are always different from doing the search within everything.

mawi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TinyEV results are not browseable
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 06:47 AM »
I do a search for, say "lead" and it says "37 results". I can go down and select the first displayed (9), but I cant seem to page down into the rest, like I can with a normal FARR search?

All the best!

/marcus

mathiasree

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As I´m not a coder please be patient with my post:
It runs perfectly on my machine. Installation was easy, following the instructions.  :-* I observed the following behavior: When I query the Everything plugin with "accented" letters in the search window, It won´t return matches, while everything´s original interface shows them. I find this interesting, there might be probably a hand-over problem or a codepage issue? Here are two screenshots: The first is untder FARR 2.7, the second is after an update to FARR 2.8. I have downloaded the TinyEV Plugin about a week ago.
Accents Lost in FARR.jpg
Accents Lost in FARR_2.jpg

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Your problem is related to the fact that FARR is not unicode-capable.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
welcome to the site mathiasree,

you explained the problem very well.  unforunately as skwiere yes, one of FARR's weaknesses is that it does not handle the extended diacritical values well.. though i wonder if there isnt some option in Everything or tinyev that could make it work properly, since obviously you are able to type it into the farr search edit box..

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm having a weird problem with this plugin. Everything is running and it is searching OK. However, it's searching for "ev" in addition to whatever word I type. If I type ev test I get a status bar that reads Everything: 14 results for 'ev test'. Then my results include items like test_eventhub.js which have the string 'ev' in them. What did I do wrong?

Never mind, updated FARR and it fixed it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:03 PM by ayryq »

tony01

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all:

Can someone tell me how Can I use regular expression with TinyEV?

I tried to search with regexp using -r   :
ev -r Win.*

and I have no results.

Please Help.

Thans a lot
Tony
 ;D

plasmasoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I looking for this feature : configure the maximum result returns by "Everything" in the tinyev.ini;
Any idea how to do it ?

skjwh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  • WarningUser is banned
that's really a great plugin, I tried and wow! thanks!

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just a note: I had similar problems with FARR+TinyEV finding Everything under Vista, I've made them go away by launching FARR with Admin rights and, to avoid the UAC prompt, have used the same trick to start FARR that is used to start Everything, via Task Scheduler. (What? Test it? Look, unnecessary restarts are a pain in the neck and I'll only forget to come back and explain what I did. I'll  come back and delete this post only if it fails. Which it won't.)

Thanks to everyone who made this work so I could come along and pretend I did something clever.  :)

-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.