topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR Plugin: TinyEV (Everything integration) - 0.9.5 - 12 June 2009 (updated)  (Read 99302 times)

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heya. I wrote a little (literally) FARR plugin for Voidtools' Everything content search engine, since the other one was somewhat sluggish and large. This one, on the other hand, seems to be quite snappy and small (less than 16 KiB! :D), hence the name.

However, it doesn't come with a built-in settings dialog (oh no!), so if you want to change the only currently available setting, the scoring mode, you'll have to hand-edit an .ini file. I'm sure you'll cope. :) Also, this does not require the es.exe shell; just a running Everything instance.

Any comments, bug reports and suggestions are welcome, however I may be off on vacation for a week or so.

Download here:
FARR_TinyEv-0.9.5.zip

OLD LINKS NO LONGER WORKING:
  FARR_TinyEv-0.9.5.zip (18 283 bytes) SHA1: 95a9126765a18fd64a7a3325c2fe6eb4d60ded4a

FARR_TinyEv-0.9.4.zip (18 234 bytes) SHA1: 8e95113b32f008b53c9cffca9aa94f1694ed1f38

Changelog:
0.9.5: Added regexp support.

How to install:
  Copy the folder enclosed in the ZIP file into your FARR Plugins directory, and instruct FARR to rescan plugins (Options -> Plugins and Updates -> Click To Examine And Configure Plugins -> Find and Reload All Plugins).
  I recommend disabling the other Everything plugin in case you have it installed.

Tips and tricks:
  Prefix your search with a dollar sign to use regular expression search.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:45 AM by mouser »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'm late to the party on this one. i didn't realise there was a FARR plugin for everything (fantastic idea, akx).

just wondering if i'm doing something wrong...

i use Everything under Vista with UAC turned on, which requires the run as a service trick to get Everything to load at startup.

here's a screengrab of what i mean:

snap019.jpg

as you can see, if i type "ev..." i don't actually get a list of results matching the search term. (there are several "new folders" on my drive.)

do i need to configure the plugin somehow.

anyone have an idea?

edit:
Everything is constantly running on my machine by the way, but it looks like the FARR plugin can't see it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:50 AM by nudone »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
you need to make sure Everything is running.. if it is, then the problem may be that you are running it as a service.  maybe tell akx where he can learn about this service trick.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
right, must the service thing then.

i'll dig out the method it requires and post back.

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh dear. If Everything is running as a service, there might be an issue with the privilege and desktop separation in UAC, Vista and services.
I personally have Vista with UAC disabled, so I can't exactly help, other than making sure that the desktop the Everything service is running as is an interactive desktop.

However -- don't you like how TinyEv informs you that something's wrong? :P That was mouser's idea, actually. :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
okay, here's the method to run any program that usually requires UAC activation at startup.

http://blogs.techrep...ow-on-windows/?p=616

to make Everything work with this method you also require the "-startup" switch in the path for Everything.

(does that make any kind of sense?)

heheh. it's nice that it does tell you that something is wrong.

looks like i'll just have to keep Everything and FARR separate. not a real problem i must say.

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe this could help you with making Everything work with its usual startup procedure and still run privileged?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
akx, as you can see from Nudone's status bar, it says the IPC service is not running.. do you think the problem is something as simple as TinyEv not knowing how to detect it in this case, or a bigger problem in that there is no way to communicate with it when launched in that way.

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually, that particular message only appears when TinyEv can't send the query message to the Everything IPC window. I'm not exactly sure why that would happen, though. I'll try and investigate...

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks, i'll also try the Selectively disable UAC for your trusted Vista applications later. got to go out now.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
great great great!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Is it possible to customize the alias? I'd like to use " searchphrase" instead of "ev searchphrase" because that's much faster to type.

edit: it would be cool to be able to combine these searches with the FARR "+sall" command to get more results. Or alterantively, a hotkey to switch from a FARR internal Everything search to opening the Everything window with the same search phrase. That would be like a quick "go to advanced search mode" hotkey.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:14 PM by Nod5 »

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it possible to customize the alias? I'd like to use " searchphrase" instead of "ev searchphrase" because that's much faster to type.

You can do that in FARR's plugin configuration dialog. I successfully changed "ev" to "kittens", works just fine.

Also, nudone: It seems that in UAC-enabled OSes, ie. W7 and Vista, non-privileged programs can not send Windows messages to privileged programs. I'm not sure if you can, or if it's sane at all to set FARR to run privileged, but if you did that, it probably could communicate with Everything.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I successfully changed "ev" to "kittens", works just fine.
So, now we have to launch FARR with the paws key?

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I successfully changed "ev" to "kittens", works just fine.
So, now we have to launch FARR with the paws key?
-cranioscopical (June 11, 2009, 02:29 PM)
Mewbe.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D

I get "kittens searchphrase" to work but not " searchphrase". Putting just " " in the override box is no go. I'm unsure what regex format I need for the plugin, apart from this start "^ ".

Also, the swedish characters "åäö" aren't displayed in the results correctly

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cool plugin! works fine on both - WinXP & Win7. :Thmbsup:

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also, the swedish characters "åäö" aren't displayed in the results correctly
I'll have to look into hacking some Unicode support into the plugin. Problem is that mouser said that FARR isn't Unicode aware, which complicates things...

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also, nudone: It seems that in UAC-enabled OSes, ie. W7 and Vista, non-privileged programs can not send Windows messages to privileged programs. I'm not sure if you can, or if it's sane at all to set FARR to run privileged, but if you did that, it probably could communicate with Everything.

i can confirm that running FARR "as administrator" allows the Everything plugin to work correctly. So, i'll probably just use this method.

thanks.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
akx, thanks let me know if I can help out in any way (about åäö)

re using space as alias for this plugin: I again fiddled with the regex override box but can't get it to work. For a regular alias "^ (.*)" would be fine (together with $$1 in the command).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:21 AM by Nod5 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it may be because farr is trimming the leading space.. let me see if i can fix that.

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nope, mouser. It's on my side. Fixed in the upcoming 0.9.5 :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:36 PM by akx »

akx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Updated first post with link to 0.9.5.

(edit: Oops, sorry for the double post...)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the plugin.  Would you consider adding support for the +sall feature in FARR?  Alternately, you could add support for the 'extended results' setting in FARR.

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm slightly confused AKx, (Its easy to get me confused). If I use your plugin with everything do I still use  ev before the search term ?
Also what i find strange is that when everthing is running the memory usage of FARR goes down to less than 1mb and everything is using 8.7mb

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using space as alias works in 0.9.5. Yay!  :Thmbsup:   (use "^ (.*)$" as reg ex override)

The plugin already has ini options to let FARR filter and score the results. Two other things would be extremely useful:

1. an ini option to let FARR's alias recognition override the results.
example: if the alias "xyz" exists and the user types "ev xyz" then the alias takes priority (just like in a regular FARR search).
2. a hotkey or alias to switch search folder filtering on/off (and some visual cue like a statusbar text)

If we had 1 & 2 then then next step would be to have the plugin handle all searches in FARR.

edit: if 1 is added then an advanced feature would be to make the plugin ignore its own alias when filtering for aliases. That way, regexp aliases that require the alias phrase to be first in the input box would still match.
example: an alias with "^tv (.*)$" that in regular FARR matches on "tv bbc" but not on "aaa tv aaa" would still match when a user enters "ev tv bbc".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:58 PM by Nod5 »