topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best macro program to click a toolbar button, and...  (Read 6708 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best macro program to click a toolbar button, and...
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:33 PM »
What would be the best macro program to do the following?

1) Click a button on a program's toolbar when I press a key. The program I'm working in does not have a menu command equivalent to that button, and I need to click it fairly often, which disturbs my typing. The button is usually located at the same absolute position when the program window is maximized, but it's not guaranteed, and clicking a different button might have some adverse consequences.

2) Click (toggle) a checkbox in a dialog box. A separate issue: I often need to toggle a certain option, which is only available after clicking main menu -> Tools -> Options, then selecting a tab.

Would I have any luck with Autohotkey? Or should I try Macro Toolsworks instead, or something similar? I'd rather avoid running a program as "heavy" as Macro Toolsworks in the background all the time, but if I used it for these two tasks, I guess I would find more uses for it to justify the purchase. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best macro program to click a toolbar button, and...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:19 AM »
I can't give you a definitive "best,", but as a left-field suggestion, you might look at PTFB Pro.  While you can find the last free version around the Net, recent payware versions are much more advanced and have macro features.  The program's main purpose is to "Push the Freakin' Button" so I would hope it would work for you, though it is only fair to add that PTFB Pro's Help file has plenty of caveats.  PTFB turns up on Bits du Jour from time to time, but you just missed one.  I haven't checked its resource usage, but keep it running all the time without apparent problems.

Other suggestion, which is freeware - PowerPro - can do almost anything, and relatively light on resources, but hard to get to grips with.

autogeeek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:43 PM »
you can automate almost anything with Automation Anywhere. Since it requires no programming, it is very simple to use and it has commands which will enable you to record most Windows controls.
You could try a free version at http://www.automationanywhere.com and create a task for your requirement. :)

r0bertdenir0

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:46 AM »
Autohotkey should do wat you want.
It has a macro recorder so you can just record yr actions & save that as the script.
When it sends a mouse click that click is relative to the active window not the desktop (unless you change that), so as long as the button is fixed relative to it's window you're fine.
You you shud be able to make the click relative to the toolbar control which is fine unless you customize yr toolbars all the time...
If not you can always make the script more intricate by using the SendMessage function directly on the Toolbar control.
Clicking a checkbox is easy.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:41 AM »
Automation Anywhere. Since it requires no programming

autogeek, the OP is tranglos, who is a respected programmer  :)

At $495, Automation Anywhere will be only a dream for most people.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 08:00 AM »
Macro Express (shareware) will click buttons.  I use both AutoHotkey and Macro Express.  Generally for this sort of thing Macro Express is faster and easier.

autogeeek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 12:39 AM »
Sorry about no-programming required part, tranglos.  :-[
Well Tethys Solutions also has Workspace Macro Pro. You could check out its features at http://www.tethyssol...ions.com/product.htm and see if it suits your requirements.
Hope this helps. :)