ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PowerArchiver 2009 at 50% discount on BdJ (2009-06-10) : worth it ?

(1/2) > >>

MerleOne:
Hi,

This offer seems interesting at first, especially for the lifetime upgrades that is proposed.  But is this software worth it ?  I did try a few things related to DVD burning and backup, but these features still are quite basic and showed some problems : for instance, I tried to burn a 7GB folder on a single layer DVD, PA started without complaining and of course at the end of the first DVD it froze.  After reboot, I saw that the DVD "FAT" contained all files, which of course wasn't the case.

Do you have any recommendation ?  Thanks.

mwb1100:
I use PowerArchiver for all my archive file handling - I've never used it's DVD writing capability (though I have used it to open .iso files), so I can't comment on that.  I like it very much, but I'm not sure I'm a true power user for archive files, all I know is that I didn't like WinZIP, WinRAR or any of the free archiving utilities as much as PowerArchiver back when I bought it (quite a while ago).  I think the free utilities have come quite far in the meantime, but I've had no reason to look at them again.

Here are the things that I liked about PowerArchiver (and that keep me using it):

- the Outlook plug in will automatically compress large or multiple attachments with no fuss
  - the support is fantastic
  - I use the proprietary .pae encrypted archives to have archives that have even the filenames encrypted (this didn't exist in other archivers, except maybe WinRAR when I bought PowerArchiver)
  - the basic, everyday handling of archives just work easily for me (drag-n-drop, shell integration, etc)

I think if you're not 100% happy with whatever you're using right now for archives, then the BDJ offer is definitely worth looking at.

MerleOne:
Thanks for your feedback !  I actually use winrar, which I like a lot because of some unique features like solid archives, very efficient to compress a bunch of files with little diff between them, the optional redundancy that can be added to make a file more resistant to a few damages, etc.

I consider switching because I need a backup on DVD burning that handles spanning & diff or incremental modes.

f0dder:
I consider switching because I need a backup on DVD burning that handles spanning & diff or incremental modes.-MerleOne (June 10, 2009, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why not simply use WinRAR (or w/e) in split mode and manually burn the files? Sure, it's an extra step, but buying a new compression app just for that slight amount of ease? :)

MerleOne:
Why not simply use WinRAR (or w/e) in split mode and manually burn the files? Sure, it's an extra step, but buying a new compression app just for that slight amount of ease? :)
-f0dder (June 10, 2009, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sure, it works for the inital backup/burning, but as soon as files change or new files are added in the source folder, I just want to burn them automagically to the last used DVD.  I don't think I can do this with winrar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version