ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

What's the correct abbreviation?

(1/2) > >>

rjbull:
Mouser,

Is there an official abbreviation of Find&RunRobot's name?  I've seen it written FARR, FaRR, F&RR, f+r, etc.

Just wondering...  the more so if the forum software's search feature is global, in which case using the "wrong" abbreviation might not retrieve what you were looking for.

mouser:
the real answer is, when naming programs, a lesson i wish i had learned earlier is: dont user the word AND in them, it only brings you trouble.  it's hard to search for and hard to abbreviate.

jfpbookworm:
This reminds me... is there any way to implement a search algorithm that would hit on FindAndRunRobot from typing something like "f&r"?  Or any way to add heuristics?  For instance, you could have the following:

1)  find anything that has those characters in sequence, even if not contiguous, but with a points penalty
2)  give bonus points for capitals or letters at the beginning of words
3)  replace "&" with "and", "@" with "at", "iv" with "4", etc. and vice versa, with a points penalty

It'd be nice to type "mf" and be able to get "Mozilla Firefox" as a hit, not just "That clip from X-Men 2 where Nightcrawler goes bamf".

Of course, this may be a huge performance hit w/o indexing.

mouser:
it's an interesting question;
i think it might be overkill for normal find+run searching, but i can see two related things:
1) supporting such stuff in a non-default file search mode.
2) supporting being able to define a specific alias search which specified a bunch of search strings like you have described, which could be run via a command of some sort.

momonan:
I really love the name find and run robot.  It's descriptive and cute.  It also matches the little icon -- although I wonder if the figure shouldn't be facing the future, instead of the past.  Any possibility of reversing it?

It also looks like the default acronym of "FARR" has emerged.  See:  https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2272.msg15559#msg15559.  I know there's still a problem with having the word "and" in the title, but settling on an acronym will help solve the search problems, at least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version