ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FreewareMission.com: 94 Great Freeware Programs For A Freeware Only PC

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
Nice list here, with mini-reviews of all his choices.  Seems we've been remiss in not mentioning the FreewareMission website in the past..

Hello folks! As I promised I’m going to release the first Freeware Mission MegaPack for 2009 as it’s been almost six months since the last MegaPack was released, with 72 freeware programs back in December 2008. The new MegaPack has 94 freeware programs, all tested and installed in my freeware only PC. For those of you who don’t know what the Freeware Mission is all about I’m going to explain how and why in a few words.

I have a Windows XP powered PC, it came with the operating system installed when I bought it and I guess this is the case for many of you. Last year I reinstalled Windows XP and I thought about making my PC freeware only, doing my daily PC jobs only with freeware programs and getting rid of all that expensive and buggy paid software. These 94 freeware programs below are the ones that I am using now on a daily basis.

--- End quote ---

http://www.freewaremission.com/2009/06/94-great-freeware-programs-for-a-freeware-only-pc/

fenixproductions:
No DC there :(

BTW I use 14 applications from their list (4 very rarely). I thought there will be more ;)

mouser:
No DC there
--- End quote ---

not true -- there are a couple of DC mentions, both as top recommendations and as 2nd place recommendations.  regardless, as we've discussed before it's best to treat these kinds of lists not as definitive statements of top programs, but as chances to discover good stuff.

i'm just ashamed we haven't featured freewaremission before since it looks like a great freeware blog.

rgdot:
Nice list, couple of switches between 93 and 94 in the text and page title though (if there is a reason I guess I have to read more carefully)

fenixproductions:
2mouser
I've focused on 94 list only.

Really nice list but one thing does not fit IMHO:

BEST FREE IMAGE EDITING PROGRAM

GIMP - The best freeware alternative to Adobe Photoshop. It’s an open source image editor, very powerful and quite stable.

Alternatives: - Inkscape
--- End quote ---

I can hardly see Inkscape as GIMP alternative. These are too different. I would rather go "vote" for Paint.NET or Artweaver instead. Ink simply sucks in raster graphics editing.

I think the best would be to have two separate groups for raster (called i.e. "photo editor") and vector graphics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version