topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chance of Displaying Advert - Does This Help DC?  (Read 7808 times)

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Chance of Displaying Advert - Does This Help DC?
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:31 PM »
I noticed a setting in my profile which read "Chance of Displaying Advert" and can be set to any percentage between zero and one hundred percent. I understand what the setting does easily enough - and I took it for granted at first the reason it was there was because DC can benefit by showing the ads. Fair enough, I don't mind helping out DC, and I pushed it up - I even thought about setting it to one hundred percent. Then I got to wondering, having once known someone who actually wanted to see ads, if it was just there to satisfy those with such tastes. Does anyone know? I'm going to bump it up all the way until I find out, but I would be interested in knowing.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chance of Displaying Advert - Does This Help DC?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:40 PM »
I don't think you will see any ads, I have had this at 100 all the time and never noticed any form of ad.

I think our light shines brighter without ads anyway (if you would forgive the metaphor  ;) )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:50 PM »
We have experimented with Ads on the website.. we may do so again in the future, who knows.. It was an interesting experiment.  I tend to prefer it without Ads myself.

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I prefer it without ads - if I don't see any I won't complain. But if the ad income will help DC, I can live with ads. So, what the heck, I set it to 100% - and if I never see an ad, that's fine with me. If I do, well, at least this time it would be doing some good, and I consented to it. Unlike popups. >:( Those really steamed me, until I got a popup blocker.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Oh I hear ya! Those popups make me furious! And then they make you click so they go away only to open a new window or tab with that same click!

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:19 PM »
We have experimented with Ads on the website.. we may do so again in the future, who knows.. It was an interesting experiment.  I tend to prefer it without Ads myself.

You remember I once fought ads tooth and nail because of my perception of all things G00gle (I still hold that perception), but came to realize that was a bit myopic; after all, I do not "own" DC.  Mine is but one vote, besides with the Proxomitron, I can have *my* cake and you can eat *yours* too if ads will help DC!  

Having said that, I do agree with you about preferring them to not be on DC.  Anyway you cut it, ads are a distraction and add "pressure" to the experience.  The thing I have really appreciated is how laid back and "unpressured" Cody's Home really is when I visit.  

In the hectic, work-a-day rat-race, it is very nice to relax here.
 :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:07 PM by CodeTRUCKER »