topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: multiple clipboards depending of times you press c (or x/v)  (Read 7458 times)

foaly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are various multiple clipboard programs out there but I'm looking for someone that works like this:
ctrl-x cuts to first clipboard
ctrl-c-c copys to second clipboad
ctrl-v-v-v pastes from third clipboard

most clipboard programs let you scroll trough them, but I'd like it to be that if you press ctrl-c-c and
after that again ctrl-c-c the second clipboard contains the last selected text and the text that was
on the second clipboard gets lost.

I've got a feeling this shouldn't be to hard using autohotkey, but I can't get it to work...

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

I don't code in Autohotkey, but might it be simpler if you use
Ctrl-1 and Ctrl-2 and Ctrl-3 .. or a-b-c or z-x-c (the bottom rung) rather than try to hold the keyboard input for a second "c" ?

Clipboard managers are inherently cumbersome without multiple clips, like you suggest. Since you have to bring up the manager, find and choose the cilp you want.

So the idea is really fine.  In one implementation Ctrl-4 or Cntrl-d would be the master key that would bring up a choice screen of the three clipboards, and yes .. there might be some saving of clip history on each one.  Is there a clipboard manager that works with a paradigm of multiple concurrent boards ?  Dunno. 

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:06 PM by Steven Avery »

foaly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,
I don't code in Autohotkey, but might it be simpler if you use
Ctrl-1 and Ctrl-2 and Ctrl-3 .. or a-b-c or z-x-c (the bottom rung) rather than try to hold the keyboard input for a second "c" ?
-Steven Avery (June 07, 2009, 03:56 PM)

It would! A lot easier! Wouldn't be as easy to use though, and might interfere with other hotkeys...

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Is there a NirSoft style global hot-key utility finder ?  If so, that would tell you at a glance if you have any clashes.

So why not test your idea with Ctr-Shf-1 and 2 and 3, something like that. Make sure it works.  Then your issue is simply a keyboard reading issue, can you hit a key twice for keyboard input, which you can bring up on the Autohotkey forums as well as here.  Make sure you only have one variable at issue, reading a double key.  (If you really want to go that way.)

Shalom,
Steven Avery

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  Clipboard managers are inherently cumbersome without multiple clips, like you suggest. Since you have to bring up the manager, find and choose the cilp you want.
-Steven Avery (June 07, 2009, 03:56 PM)

Not necessarily.  Some of them, e.g. ClipCache and ArsClip, allow you to assign hotkeys that will move you up or down the clip stack, showing you a tooltip of the current clip as you go.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a NirSoft style global hot-key utility finder ?  If so, that would tell you at a glance if you have any clashes.
-Steven Avery (June 07, 2009, 05:32 PM)

err, ShortcutsMan by Nir Sofer, but it will only show you hotkeys set at the Windows level, not all those set by programs themselves or by hotkey programs.  There's a DC thread with a recent program by tranglos on this topic, IIRC.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This autohotscript uses the AppsKey (i.e. the "right click context menu key" often placed between right Win key and right Ctrl key) for a second clipboard. I'm not sure how it handles very large files on the clipboard but it seems fine for text and smaller stuff.

The only addition needed to get exactly what foaly asks for is to add code that handles multiple keypresses (ctrl + cc), which might be tricky (and error prone in practice i suspect).

ctrl + AppsKey to copy
AppsKey to paste

^AppsKey::
xsave := ClipboardAll
clipboard =
send ^c
clipwait,1
xsave2 := ClipboardAll
Clipboard := xsave
xsave  =  
return

AppsKey::
xsave  := ClipboardAll
clipboard := xsave2
send ^v
Clipboard := xsave
xsave =
return

edit: another possible hotkey combo to use for this could be win+c win+v
edit2: the AppsKey clipboard does not seem to work for files, only for text. Not sure why.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:18 PM by Nod5 »