ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Alt-tab replacement ?

(1/4) > >>

kartal:
Hi

I am looking for a new alt+tab replacement(under xp64). I use taskswitchxp, which is fine. Actually it is one of the best but for some reason sometimes it does not trigger properly and I endup pressing alt+tab many zillion times to invoke. Anyways I am not happy with that particular behaviour.

I have also  tried many others like alttab++,alttab thingy etc and yet I have not found anything that satisfies my needs. Alttab thingy looked nice but it is quite buggy, rezising does not work, v4 had preview problems. I know it is free stuff but as long as it does not work properly being free is kind of irrelevant.

Alttab++ is nice and simple but it does not have any sorting based on name, application.

I use Farr Alt+tab plugin but again this one does not have any sorting either. I know I can type the name but I do not want to type a name when I just need to see what apps are open, or when I need to quickly browse to another app. Farr Alttab is great for if you are into typing and know which app you need to browse to.

What I am looking for

-The listing should include window name, and app name
-Different listing options(icon, list, grid etc)
-Preview would be nice
-Sticky Alttab mode
-Sorting based on different criteria (date, window name, app name, size etc)

tomos:
have you tried MouseAltTab available at WEP's page http://wep.dcmembers.com/
here's the AHK http://wep.dcmembers.com/malttab.ahk (also available as exe there)

it has #1 & 5 on your list. Also shows icons.
#5 (sorting) only on available fields = windows & exe names
I dont know what "Sticky Alttab mode" is

songless:
I use the autohotkey script posted by tomos above since two years, the forum thread is here for previews:
http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic6422.html&sid=b9f02b605947f64c07e1dec56b751650

For sticky mode ( dialog doesn't hide when alt key is released, better for mouse advanced users like me ) I did an easy modification, removed the code for hiding the dialog. And I associated a StrokeIt gesture with the hotkey ( that I changed from alt+tab to ctrl+w or something similar ) so I don't have to touch the keyboard to move between apps quickly.

I also tried taskswitchxp that has nice previews and configurable user interface, but for some strange reason Windows crashed when I was using Spotify. I suppose taskswitchxp uses some very low-level apis to work, shame because it's good software  :(

fenixproductions:
2kartal

I am sorry to inform you but I am afraid there is nothing like you'd like to have. I've tried to find Alt+Tab replacement which would suit some of your needs dozen times during last few years and I found none.

Most of the people (developers) were happy with Microsoft tool or Windows built in TaskSwitch (yes, that is how it's called). When I had got annoyed enough I've even tried to write my own replacement in C# but I found it too slow :(

"Screenshot"It looked like this:

Alt-tab replacement ?

Innuendo:
Personally, I think the best Alt+Tab replacement software is Windows 7. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version