ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Laptop Security - Lock system/send keystroke unless key pressed in n sec

<< < (3/7) > >>

tmpusr:
Can you overlay (transparent) text on screen? You should see it even when you're in a full screen Remote Desktop. It could start in the corner counting down and during the last seconds move to the center and get larger. Or it could just be in the center of the screen big and bright so that it certainly catches your attention. Or a combination of subtle yet conspicious: a full screen very transparent font.

I prefer the notification to be as subtle as possible most of the time, but if you just don't notice it, it'll get "louder" just as people would. So it could start almost totally transparent and start getting less transparent and darker or brighter. The balloon isn't very subtle when it unhides a hidden taskbar, but it's too subtle sometimes if the taskbar is not hidden. Screens are big and you may have looked away when it appeared so you didn't notice the change.

tmpusr:
A tooltip at the cursor (mouse or text or both) with a countdown. The necessary code is here http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40165

tmpusr:
Something like this
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?wtgywzo2znt">AutoLockTooltipTest.ahk</a>
It plays accept.wav and warning.wav if in the same folder.
Since I'm no autohotkey coder there's plenty of suckiness, but you get the ideas.

tmpusr:
If your "heartbeat" isn't rapid enough, there's still a vulnerability if you haven't disabled the USB ports (or passworded them - can it be done?); the thief can insert a USB stick and run a program that suspends/kills all non-system processes. How to prevent this from suspending/terminating? Some low level system code, perhaps a driver?

I'm pretty happy with the tooltip blinking (erratically because of sucky code) at the cursor. I usually don't miss it because it's where my eyes are, but when I have, the SevereWarningMessage that blinks the whole screen by drawing a transparent fullscreen tooltip, has caught my attention. This version often leaves a transparent tooltip on screen when I press the key. Information wants to be free and code wants to be wrong.

r0bertdenir0:
Yeah a semi-transparent countdown window that's always-on-top is an option but if you want subtle then isn't a big bright countdown timer in the middle of yr screen just screaming 2 a thief that they better do sumthing quick?
If you remember Arnie in Predator - that countdown wasn't even in human numbers but he figured out wat was gonna hit the fan easily enuf...

I like yr sound idea, perhaps a clicking every second when the warning period is reached, becos it's obvious 2 you who knows about the lockout but not a stranger.
Even if we add a sem-transparent popup, I wud not put an obvious timer in it but a seemingly harmless message.
If you think about it, you don't need a timer displayed when you enter the final warning stage, cos whether you have 1 second or 100 seconds left, you will hit the hotkey as soon as possible.
But perhaps a misleading progress bar...

The "heartbeat" in this program is 100ms, fast enuf to outpace most thieves accept perhaps a young Peter Sellers.
But as far as sum1 running a program off a USB stick, that wud depend on how small you make the timeout interval so that the laptop locks b4 they have a chance 2 do anytyn. You'd have 2 balance security against annoyance & only you can do that.
I won't be able 2 update the code 2day cos I'm at work but keep yr ideas coming & I'll adopt them as soon as I can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version