ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Laptop Security - Lock system/send keystroke unless key pressed in n sec

<< < (2/7) > >>

tmpusr:
So that it doesn't annoy a lot, it could be once every 5-15 minutes, though within 15 minutes people could view/copy a lot of data. It's up to you to choose how tight security you want. You'd see the countdown during the last minute, optionally with (or only) a ticking sound during the last 30 seconds. Just press the key and you've got another 15 minutes. The point is that if you're not around, the computer won't just go on forever.

It's hard to believe this kind of utility doesn't already exist.

r0bertdenir0:
Do you have autohotkey installed?
if so you can try this script.
It's just a rough draught so you can test & see if this is what you have in mind.
This script has a timeout of 60 secs & you can press Win+3 to reset the timer.
The setting are the variables at the top of the file - they are obviously named.
Right now the script just runs once & if it locks you out you will have to run the script again - but as I said it's just a first run.
And hopefully sum other guys here will jump in 2 polish it up.

#Persistent
#SingleInstance force
#UseHook On
#Include %A_ScriptDir%
SetWorkingDir, %A_ScriptDir%

HotkeyCombo = #3
CountdownTimer = 60
WarningMessageTimer = 30
WarningMessage = WiFi connection signal quality is poor, connection will be lost in %WarningMessageTimer% seconds
DebugMode := False

StartUp:
{

nCountdownTimer := 1000 * CountdownTimer
   nWarningTimer := 1000 * WarningMessageTimer
   nInternalTimer := nCountdownTimer
   nInternalTimerResolution := 100
   bIconOff := False

if(WarningMessageTimer>CountdownTimer)
   {
      msgbox "CountdownTimer" must be greater than or equal to "WarningMessageTimer"
      return
   }

Hotkey, %HotkeyCombo%, HotkeyPressed

SetTimer, InternalTimer, %nInternalTimerResolution%

return
}

HotkeyPressed:
{
   SetTimer, InternalTimer, Off
   nInternalTimer := nCountdownTimer
   SetTimer, InternalTimer, %nInternalTimerResolution%

TrayTip, Autolock, Timer reset thank you, 5

return
}

InternalTimer:
{

nInternalTimer := nInternalTimer - nInternalTimerResolution
   if(nInternalTimer<=0)
   {
      Gosub, LockOut
      return
   }
   if(nInternalTimer<=nWarningTimer)
   {
      Gosub, ShowWarning
      return
   }

bIconOff := !bIconOff
   if(bIconOff)
   {
      Menu, Tray, Icon, Shell32.dll, 174
   }
   else
   {
      Menu, Tray, Icon, Shell32.dll, 173
   }

return
}

ShowWarning:
{
   TrayTip, Autolock, %WarningMessage%, 30
return
}

LockOut:
{
   SetTimer, InternalTimer, Off
   if(DebugMode)
   {
      msgbox, LOCKOUT
   }
   else
   {
      DllCall("LockWorkStation")
   }

return
}

--- End quote ---

tmpusr:
Appreciated. There's a small security hole: you can close it.

Looking for:
Ability to do the other things, not just lock, though lock does the job - unless you have no password relying on the pre-boot authentication of TrueCrypt (the system drive is encrypted).

If you miss the bubble and don't press the key in time, for example because you're in a full screen Remote Desktop, it should have a grace period of n seconds that displays a conspicuous countdown timer regardless of what is on screen (if playing a game, it switches to the desktop), during which you can press a key, or enter a password. Sort of like UAC, with the background dimmed.

No icon in the tray, especially not an animated one.

tmpusr:
Playing a ticking sound (wav) per second or just once, and when key is accepted, would be good features for no-visuals operation.

r0bertdenir0:
Well the close option is not a security hole it's a debugging hole 2 stop the thing locking me out.
I don't run anytyn without absolutely no user interface until I'm sure the bugs are out.

The idea 4 the animated icon is that it flashes very slowly at first & then faster as the timeout approaches but if you dont want it there then I could just take it out.
I think a "grace" period is just matter of perspective - if you want a "grace" period of 60 seconds, then just set the Warning period to 60 seconds. If you want a warning period of 60 seconds & a grace period of 10 seconds, just set yr warning period as 70 secs.

I suppose along with showing the bubble you could bring the Taskbar to the foreground, that should deal with games & the like...
Altho this script does just a Lock Work Station, you cud easily add other actions to the LockOut procedure, to dismount yr encrypted drives & such.
But doncha think in most theft situations locking the desktop is sufficient?
Even if yr mounted volumes are accessible, the thief wud have 2 guess yr password first & if they restart yr drives get dismounted anyway.
But like I said you can customize the LockOut procedure to tell TrueCrypt to dismount all mounted volumes or anything else you want.

I can try out the sound idea 4 you & use sound cues rather than visual balloons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version