ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Battery Backup - Get One

<< < (5/9) > >>

bob99:
@Stoic - I opened the door with my reply to your initial post - sorry  :wallbash:.
I've dealt with theory vs. practical people over the years also.  
Both are needed and the good ones I've worked with have a grasp on both ends of the rope.

While looking around for info on, let's change the term to power disturbances, I found this site.
http://www.fpl.com/largebusiness/electric/power_quality/contents/powerful_solutions_for_business.shtml
Ironically it's your own FPL.
Some good info.  I like the FAQ's, FPL Lingo, etc. toward the bottom of the page.  If surges, sags, spikes and the like didn't exist why would they be discussing them, what they affect and methods of prevention?  A rhetorical ques.  ;)

Found another one on Pacific Gas & Electric's site but can't get just the link to copy. It is to a pdf on their site.  If anyone is interested:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geusJsFCxKS4kAKQtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybjFrcjVnBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=13kspvf9k/EXP=1244489196/**http%3a//www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/about/news/outagestatus/powerquality/avoid_pwr_disturb.pdf  

There's also some good info on some of the different manufacturers and consultants web sites.  Don't want to post them for fear of being considered a spammer.
Google or Yahoo 'power quality disturbances' and take your pick.

All done for me.

Shades:
In Holland any electrical installation you can think of has to be grounded...by law. Insurance companies don't even pay if your house burns down because of an electrical failure if no proper grounding is in place.

Thunderstorms that form over land have trouble passing over a (significantly) large body of water. When I was living in Holland I leaved in an area with tall trees and three churches (300 meter radius) and next to a channel used as an international shipping lane. Although we didn't have that much storms, the ones that were there stayed for a long time (before those were able to pass over the body of water.

What I can tell you is the it is very impressive to see a church tower getting hit by lightning. One of the church towers was only 40 meters from my house. I cannot remember having any problem in any electrical equipment caused by lightning. And never used devices as UPS.

Now I have to say that electrical installations have circuit breakers that react when too much power goes through them, when they are used for prolonged periods at (near) max capacity and also when the "level" of the ground alters (for example: when you are making a short circuit, but also if the voltage level of the iron pole in the ground changes). The last trick is done with magnetism and works faster than any UPS, MOV or Protector without degrading. These breakers are expensive, will set you back 100 US dollar for a single line that carries 240 Volt and a max of 16 Amp. A house that is fitting for a standard size family in Holland has to have 5 of those (safety regulations).

Don't know if that kind of breakers are available and/or used in the US.  

There is quite some interesting material on the subject of grounding electrical installations from all different types and sizes. And they require quite some mathematical knowledge as well.

bob99:

Both are needed and the good ones I've worked with have a grasp on both ends of the rope.
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't have said this... my apologies!

westom:
 A nearby utility pole strike is discharged through all routes to ground (e.g. houses on the block). Being spread out lessens its impact on any one individual dwelling. … If however the strike hits (a tree towards the back of the house (opposite the service entry point) the system is effectively back fed which puts a rather different spin on the proverbial ball.-Stoic Joker (June 07, 2009, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
 Exactly.  Slowly we are working towards reality.  Apparently you don’t realize the ground rod must be the single point earth ground.   Again, you are too quick to challenge rather than learn the significance of what you have just posted.    Failure to install the single point earthing means a struck tree is also a direct connection to household appliances if the building earthing is performed incorrectly.

So why would you have damage?  Follow the current from cloud to earth.  Down to the tree, through earth, up the ground rod, into the building through appliances, out the other side of the building via improper earthing, then miles to those distant charges.  That is why homes are routinely built or upgraded with Ufer grounds or equivalent.

Same problem was in the Orange County emergency facilities.  So they installed no plug-in protectors.  Instead they fixed the problem:
    www.psihq.com/AllCopper.htm

Why did you have damage?  According to your own words, defective earthing.  A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.   And yours apparently sucks.

Yes, direct strikes to AC mains are distributed to all homes – as IEEE papers discussed.  So a 50,000 amp surge is distributed to all homes – 12,000 amps?  Or, some homes take the brunt of that surge. Which direction will currents go to find those earthborne charges?  Reality – a direct strike to AC mains is a current that seeks earth ground even through household appliances.   Induced surges are not destructive.  Damage is when the surge current is not properly earthed – conducts destructively through appliances.

Contrary to what you imply – it is routine to have direct lightning strikes to the utility wires or that tree – and no damage.  But it requires a human to first learn the concept.  No foolishly buy plug-in solution that do not even claim such protection.  In your case, the computer saved itself.  The battery backup was so pathetic as to be damaged by a trivial surge.

Moving on, you are confusing big with effective.   All that AC mains conditioning equipment has little involvement with surges.  It mostly addresses other problems including harmonics, brownouts, blackouts, and noise.  

Did you view the chambers where every wire entering the building is first earthed (as short as possible) to single point earth ground?  Then you never saw nor learned about surge protection.  You never learned what has been standard surge protection for over 100 years.  That is my point.  We know how surge protection works for over 100 years.  That battery backup violates those principles as well as not even claim such protection.  Why would you recommend something when the manufacturer will not even make that claim?

Many only believe the first thing a told by a retail store salesman.  You have described the reason for surge damage: your earthing is defective.  A protector is only as effective as its earth ground – which is why that telco CO has massive earthing.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't have said this... my apologies!
-bob99 (June 07, 2009, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's all good man... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version