topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help solving an error message when opening a HTML link  (Read 5431 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Help solving an error message when opening a HTML link
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:10 AM »
Hi,

Since a few weeks, I get a strange windows system error message when I open any link and when my default browser is not loaded (Opera). I have a XP Pro system.

For instance, when I click on Start/Execute, then type www.google.com then Return :
- if Opera is not running, I get an error message saying www.google.com cannot be found by Windows.  At the same time, Opera opens and restores last session.  See error message below (in original version...)

Error Opening Link.pngHelp solving an error message when opening a HTML link

<The error message translates into : "Windows cannot find 'www.google.com'. Verify that you have entered the name correctly and try again. To search for a file, click on Start button, then on Search">

- if Opera is already loaded, the www.google.com opens fine

When I revert to IE 7 as default browser, it works fine again.  On other XP machines, I have no such problem.

I was using Opera 9.64 when this problem happened.  I fully removed Opera, cleaned the Program Files dir, reinstalled Opera 10 beta, but the problem remains.  I tried to upgrade to IE8, but the problem is still there.

Thanks for any help !
.merle1.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:53 PM by MerleOne »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help solving an error message when opening a HTML link
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Can you translate to English?
I get something similar in FireFox.. if I click on a link and FF is not loaded(it's my default browser.)  Periodically I run this registry script to fix it. If it works for other browsers by substituting the other browser name I have no clue.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTPS\shell\open\ddeexec]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\shell\open\ddeexec]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shell\open\ddeexec]

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:30 PM »
I have no problem with opera when typing that in... opera opens with the last session along with the google page .... no error... using Opera 10 beta
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Can you translate to English?
I get something similar in FireFox.. if I click on a link and FF is not loaded(it's my default browser.)  Periodically I run this registry script to fix it. If it works for other browsers by substituting the other browser name I have no clue.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTPS\shell\open\ddeexec]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\shell\open\ddeexec]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shell\open\ddeexec]

Thanks.  I have added a translation of the original message in the first post.  Regarding your script, it seems all keys are empty, or the solution would be to remove these keys ?
.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 11:01 PM »
You should look for similar keys with a different browser if you don't use Firefox.  That .reg script is a standard Firefox fix for that error message. Is there a ddeexec in the registry for Opera?  You can always use something like ERUNT to back up your registry before experimenting.  In the script the minus sign means to delete the entries.

Whatever you use, do something so you can put the Registry back the way it was, restore point or ERUNT or some other method.

Whenever I do a reinstall of Firefox I get that error(at least that happened on v. 2.x Firefox) and I'd have to run that script again.  It shouldn't hurt anything to delete those keys.  The backup is just to be backed up. :)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:48 AM »
Thanks, will try that, after a backup... It seems that these keys are similar to windows settings for associating for instance .htm to the default browser.  I just wonder how they are recreated after being erased.  Anyway, there is no such thing as an experiment !
.merle1.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Solved ? (Help solving an error message when opening a HTML link)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:16 AM »
Thanks a lot to MilesAhead !

It seems my problem is solved for now.  I have done things a little differently, but you definitely helped me solve the problem.

1/ I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http, exported the keys + subkeys, did the same for ...\https keys + subkeys, and again the same for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML.

2/ I added "%1" to the (default value) of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command.  Previously it was set to ""C:\Program Files\Opera 10 Beta\opera.exe", now it is "C:\Program Files\Opera 10 Beta\opera.exe" "%1".

3/ Same thing for ...\https and ...\Opera.HTML corresponding keys

4/ Finally, instead of removing the full HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\ddeexec key and subkeys, I just removed the default value which was set to "%1".  I mean I deleted the "%1" from this default value.

5/ Again, I did the same for ....\https and ...\Opera.HTML keys

Now it seems to work fine again, but I guess I'll have to wait a little bit to be sure.

Thanks again !

.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Glad you got it working. I wish I had a database of registry hacks.  Seems to be you have to find them hit and miss on tweak sites. :)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49 AM »
It would be nice also to find a manual on DDE, which seems at the heart of so many problems.
.merle1.