ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Brief rant Re:mIRC

(1/3) > >>

rgdot:
I have been using mIRC for a very long time and I am willing to admit ignoring the prompts since mIRC allows use beyond the trial. For the first time ever I couldn't use it today because the continue prompt was grayed out with a message 'your 30 day trial expired'. Since I have never seen or heard that happening with mIRC I go to its discussion forum and do find a thread about this (no I didn't start that or any thread there myself)

There was thread here on DC about freeware going shareware and issues like that. Of course mIRC was never 'freeware' but once again some software writers seem to not get it. Yes it's extremely nice, even hugely pleasantly so, to allow people to use what you have spent years to write for free but please decide one way or another. The world doesn't need another gray area.

/rant

EDIT: changed 'writer' to 'some software writers'

tanis424:
There is no grey area with mIRC as far as I can see. It's always been shareware, you're just annoyed that you can't use it by ignoring the nag now.  :)

He relied on people's honesty for a long time, now he's changed his mind - so be it.

When I bought mIRC (years ago) it was one of the cheapest pieces of shareware I'd bought - only cost about $USD10...

Jibz:
Maybe we should apply for a new licensing term called "freeware" (with quotes)?

"Freeware" : Commercial or shareware software that does not directly stop you from using it illegally, which makes it de-facto real freeware.

Seriously .. you blame the author for your inability to illegally use his software like you used to?

lanux128:
mIRC is a very good software to have but as you probably know, the concept of shareware requires the user to register if they deem the usage of the software is necessary beyond the trial period. on the other hand, there are plenty of freeware alternatives available.

rgdot:
@ Jibz, you completely missed my point, but I almost knew this is going to turn into a mini-flame against me :)  I didn't say I should be entitled to use something for free nor did I complain about any nag screens or shareware.

My point was an author should decide what he wants and not disable a software few years later, I have no problem having to decide after 30 days (when it says 30 days) to pay for it or go for alternatives. And since you mentioned it yes I am against a 'third' option, either it's freeware or shareware that actually does expire (or may be even does not have a trial period at all).

Khaled is a nice guy that I (and you and others) first read about years ago and he has let people continue using his software by letting the continue button stay enabled after the 30 days, but I (I am not even saying anybody cares what I think, but posting here until mouser lets me :P ) am kind of disappointed to see this thing about mIRC.

I am aware of the freeware alternatives and for example AdiIRC and HydraIRC are pretty decent ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version