topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Brief rant Re:mIRC  (Read 5903 times)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Brief rant Re:mIRC
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:50 PM »
I have been using mIRC for a very long time and I am willing to admit ignoring the prompts since mIRC allows use beyond the trial. For the first time ever I couldn't use it today because the continue prompt was grayed out with a message 'your 30 day trial expired'. Since I have never seen or heard that happening with mIRC I go to its discussion forum and do find a thread about this (no I didn't start that or any thread there myself)

There was thread here on DC about freeware going shareware and issues like that. Of course mIRC was never 'freeware' but once again some software writers seem to not get it. Yes it's extremely nice, even hugely pleasantly so, to allow people to use what you have spent years to write for free but please decide one way or another. The world doesn't need another gray area.

/rant

EDIT: changed 'writer' to 'some software writers'
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:53 PM by rgdot »

tanis424

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Brief rant Re:mIRC
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:02 AM »
There is no grey area with mIRC as far as I can see. It's always been shareware, you're just annoyed that you can't use it by ignoring the nag now.  :)

He relied on people's honesty for a long time, now he's changed his mind - so be it.

When I bought mIRC (years ago) it was one of the cheapest pieces of shareware I'd bought - only cost about $USD10...

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:22 AM »
Maybe we should apply for a new licensing term called "freeware" (with quotes)?

"Freeware" : Commercial or shareware software that does not directly stop you from using it illegally, which makes it de-facto real freeware.

Seriously .. you blame the author for your inability to illegally use his software like you used to?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:26 AM »
mIRC is a very good software to have but as you probably know, the concept of shareware requires the user to register if they deem the usage of the software is necessary beyond the trial period. on the other hand, there are plenty of freeware alternatives available.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:11 AM »
@ Jibz, you completely missed my point, but I almost knew this is going to turn into a mini-flame against me :)  I didn't say I should be entitled to use something for free nor did I complain about any nag screens or shareware.

My point was an author should decide what he wants and not disable a software few years later, I have no problem having to decide after 30 days (when it says 30 days) to pay for it or go for alternatives. And since you mentioned it yes I am against a 'third' option, either it's freeware or shareware that actually does expire (or may be even does not have a trial period at all).

Khaled is a nice guy that I (and you and others) first read about years ago and he has let people continue using his software by letting the continue button stay enabled after the 30 days, but I (I am not even saying anybody cares what I think, but posting here until mouser lets me :P ) am kind of disappointed to see this thing about mIRC.

I am aware of the freeware alternatives and for example AdiIRC and HydraIRC are pretty decent ones.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 08:49 AM »
I did not miss your point, and please do not feel I am attacking you personally .. I am attacking this flawed notion that a lot of people have that as long as nothing stops them (or at least nothing they can't click away fast), whatever they do is ok ::).

If you steal clothes from a store that has no alarm, and the owner puts in an alarm, would you tell him he should make up his mind if his clothes are "free"?

If you're speeding whenever you drive to work, and the police sets up a speed trap, would you tell them they should make up their minds if the speed limits apply?

The bottom line is mIRC is shareware, and you know it :Thmbsup:.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:03 AM »
My take on illegal usage is far more strict (if that's the correct word) than you may think, even if this thread seems to indicate otherwise. I have even been laughed at elsewhere because of my views about Napster and others, but that's another topic.  Anyhow I will stop here because to me your last sentence confirms what you deny in your first sentence (the part about missing my point)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:06 AM by rgdot »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:02 AM »
I am going to brush aside the fact that you installed the software and were advised of a 30-day trial and once you crossed the threshold of that 30 days you were still able to use the software going beyond the limits set by the author and by your own expectations seeing as how you knew the software could die at any time after 30 days.

But...and this is a serious question not trying to get a rise out of you or flame you...why are you upset that you got a longer trial period than was advertised or you expected?

However, that question is just to satisfy my own curiosity. Onward to other things, having read the thread you linked to the author states that on start-up mIRC randomly chooses from a number of different messages including the one you got demanding for payment. Have you tried re-starting the program a few times to see if the app randomly chooses one of the other, less restrictive messages? Have you tried a clean install of mIRC?

If neither of those work it sounds like you at least are given a link to buy the app at a discount, maybe even as high as 50%.

Oh, and about the rant...what are you ranting about exactly? First you talk about your situation with mIRC then you rail against freeware turning into shareware which, you quickly point out, mIRC doesn't fall into this category. So why did you bring up mIRC at all? And if your main beef is with mIRC, why bring up the freeware/shareware thing?

Maybe I missed your point, too, but I'm trying really hard to see it. Help me understand.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37 AM »
Of course the author can decide anything and who am I to say anything but by letting it work beyond 30 days by design and then much later on disabling it, randomly or completely, is disappointing, nothing more.
The way it relates to the freeware vs shareware thing is because I find it disappointing that a change of policy occurs later on (of course I am aware some shareware have turned into freeware too) since this random disabling thing has certainly not been around forever, only the prompt to register has been there. I have known enough illegal (if it's a given to call them and me that) users, that for unknown reasons come to me for connection and pc issues, over the years to see that.

For those who care to believe me, after this post I am heading over to register mIRC. More so for past misdemeanors than future use :)

My apologies to everybody if the tone of my posts are not good, believe it or not they are not meant that way.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:00 PM »
From the thread you linked the current behavior has always been the way things worked. The author said that the reaction you are getting from the program now had only a very small chance of showing up in the random rotation. You probably were very lucky not to get it...up till now.

If you are going to register it I hope you get to take advantage of the 50% disount the author alluded to his his reply.

And while I cannot speak for others, I don't think there's any need to apologize for anything, including your tone. You very plainly and clearly proclaimed your post as a rant. Those coming in here looking for calm and rational posts were only deluding themselves. Rants are rarely calm and are usually not rational.

You just needed to blow off some steam about how a program you had been using for some time seemingly changed the way it operates before your very eyes. I think you have quite a bit in common with the people posting in the Collectorz thread. :)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 01:14 PM »
I am not a ranty person though hehe, but yes you are right. And it's done, as mentioned I did register it earlier today.