topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 9:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help in printing out a program's Help (CHM) file  (Read 5761 times)

John55

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help in printing out a program's Help (CHM) file
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:35 PM »
When a good program gets complex, many of us would like to print out it's Help or CHM file. Sometimes that's difficult. I've found a reasonably priced program that will convert CHM files to PDF format. A trial is available. Go to: http://www.processtext.com/abcchm.html   and read what they have to offer, as other conversions are also available.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help in printing out a program's Help (CHM) file
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:41 PM »
just a note: I actually asked john to post about AbcChm after he sent me a sample version of the screenshot captor chm help file converted to pdf.  It really did an impressive job with the conversion.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Well,

Besides the matter of printing any helpfile, and so consuming another tree, this looks quite good, and for a reasonable price.
We (as an industry) just have to improve on screen display quality for people to read all information from a display, instead of from paper, where at the moment it is printed, it's also outdated by the next release of the file.
I do realize that producing displays, or just better displays, does take energy and poses other environmental problems.

A proper DC review would be nice...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:01 AM »
This looks good for me. As for consuming trees, well, for some of us it is necessary. A disability prevents me from sitting at my computer for long periods at a time; I have to compute in a lot of little shots. If I need to read a Help file and can only do so in front of my computer, that slows me way down. The ability to print the file in a nice, readable format allows me to move around and keep from locking myself in one position.

If only they allowed better payment options. (I really hate that they accept PayPal - but only if you pay an additional $3.50. They could easily just offer direct payment via PayPal instead).

Thanks!

Jim