ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can somebady help me with an ISO burning question?

(1/2) > >>

40hz:
Ok...

I was wondering if the collective expertise at Donation Coder could help me with this one.

I had a client ask me if there was a relatively easy way to use (or convert) a bootable CD ISO so that it could be burned as a bootable DVD. (Long story why - don't ask... :-\)

If it were just a data CD, it would be an simple job to open the ISO in something like IZArc, extract the files, and then either burn the collection to DVD, or recompile it as DVD ISO. But this is a bootable CD they're talking about.

I don't know of any easy, non-techy way to convert it other than do it manually.

Basically, what they're looking for is a utility or simple how-to they can follow. Unpacking the original ISO, isolating the files, and then manually recompiling the collection to boot from DVD media would be completely beyond them.

Any suggestions? :tellme:

cmpm:
From the hits found, it seems WinRAR should be able see whats in the iso. And perhaps extract and build a bootable disc, though it seems a long shot.

cchian:
If I recall correctly with Ultraiso you can open an ISO, add/delete files and then save the ISO or burn it on-the-fly without making changes to the original. I have never tried to recompile it or burn it into a different media size. I believe the bootable property is preserved.

4wd:
I had a client ask me if there was a relatively easy way to use (or convert) a bootable CD ISO so that it could be burned as a bootable DVD. (Long story why - don't ask... :-\)

I don't know of any easy, non-techy way to convert it other than do it manually.

Basically, what they're looking for is a utility or simple how-to they can follow. Unpacking the original ISO, isolating the files, and then manually recompiling the collection to boot from DVD media would be completely beyond them.

Any suggestions? :tellme:-40hz (June 05, 2009, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Silly question, but what's stopping you from just making an image of the CD, (eg. using ImgBurn), and then writing the image to DVD ?

Works for me, it's how I test new PE builds - create CD ISO and write to DVD-RW since I have a hard time finding blank CD-RW in my study  :-[

AFAIK, any bootable image will work on either a CD or DVD, providing:
a) it fits,
b) the drive can read it.

If it were just a data CD, it would be an simple job to open the ISO in something like IZArc, extract the files, and then either burn the collection to DVD, or recompile it as DVD ISO. But this is a bootable CD they're talking about.
--- End quote ---

Or do you mean you want to add files also, (which you avoided mentioning in the above line), which will account for the need to write to DVD ?

In that case +1 for UltraISO.

MilesAhead:
I'm with 4wd. For some reason I used to assume a CD image wasn't "legal" to burn as a DVD with Imgburn.  Then for chuckles I just burned one.  Worked fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version