Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 23, 2014, 11:46:36 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: clicking on a taskbar group brings up all the windows  (Read 2336 times)
NoWhereMan
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:43:25 PM »

Usually, when taskbar grouping is enabled, clicking the button on XP/Vista would show a menu where you can choose which individual window to bring up.
On Win7 the menu is shown both on hover and on click.

What I would rather see is that all of the windows belonging to that taskbar button/group/application were brought to front.

On Win7 this would make the interaction more mac-esque since the "superbar" already visually recalls the dock, and you would still be able to bring up single windows using the hover menu, and by ctrl-clicking the icon (window cycling);

on XP/Vista you would lose the per-window access (a ctrl-click emulation is left to the desire of the developer)

Hope you'll like this idea!

Bye!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:58:22 PM by NoWhereMan » Logged
r0bertdenir0
Supporting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »

Well I have my XP system running a script that activates the taskbar by hover rather than click.
So for normal taskbar buttons, the button is clicked & the app is brought forward.
For groups, the menu is displayed on hover & you click the app you want.
Also the Start menu is displayed on hover.

If the grouped windows are all activated on hover - how would you control which window you actually want on top?
If a group contains 3 or 4 windows, the activate on hover will just activate them all in a certain sequence & 1 of those will end up as the foreground window.
Now I'd guess that more often than not, that will not be the window you actually want 2 work with - or at least often enuf that it becums really annoying.

If you wanna try the Autohover script I'm using, let me know & I'll post it here.
I even gave it 2 a friend & in just a week she got so used 2 it she immediately noticed when it wasn't running & she had 2 click those buttons.

Yr idea is doable with a bit more hacking, but maybe you can explain how you expect it 2 work in the situation I described above
NoWhereMan
Participant

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:45:42 AM »

AFAIK Windows keeps a z-order for open windows, so I guess that raising a group should respect how they are actually stacked.
I don't really know the internals of Windows, so I can't say how it would work for minimized app.

By the way, let's say your windows are stacked this way:
A, B, C1, C2, C3, D, where leftmost means the top of the stack (topmost window) and C1,C2,C3 belong to the same app;

when you click the C group on the taskbar you'd get C1, C2, C3 raised and the stack would now look like:
C1, C2, C3, A, B, D

Now, suppose you give focus to C3 by clicking it: C3 is raised and the stack it is now
C3, C1, C2, A, B, D

Now you raise, A, B, D in sequence, you get
D, B, A, C3, C1, C2 (remember it's a stack)

Finally suppose you click again the C group, you'll have
C3, C1, C2, D, B, A

I hope it is clearer. Yeah, now that I've explained it all it sounds much harder to do than I first thought smiley
A quick and dirty solution would be not to respect the z-order and raising, say, by alphabetical order; but I suppose then it'd be more of an hassle, as you rightly point out.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:48:13 AM by NoWhereMan » Logged
r0bertdenir0
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »

The problem I see is with maximized windows.
What if you activate a group & the window that pops 2 the front of the group (based on z-order as you describe) is not the window you want, but is maximized?
Clicking the taskbar is not gonna work cos the button does it's auto-activate thing on hover.
So the only option you have is 2 de-maximize & move it outta the way so you can activate the window you want.
r0bertdenir0
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »

I can think of workarounds tho.
Like if you a window group is already active, then hover does not reactivate the group but show the task menu.
In other words if you hover over an inactive group, they r activated & brought forward.
Once the are activated, hovering displays the menu 2 select which window you want.

Is that wat you were thinking or did you have sumthing else in mind?
NoWhereMan
Participant

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 10:02:01 AM »

on win7 you could ctrl-click on the taksbar button to cycle through the windows (this is built-in); on Vista/XP Ctrl-click might be simulated or either you can still alt-tab to the desired window.

Still, you're right, I didn't take maximixed windows into account.

I guess that's why Win7 does not work that way. Even though button groups with more than one window look different on win7 taskbar. Usability nightmare (you might forget non-maximized windows behind the maximized one).
NoWhereMan
Participant

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »

oh, I forgot that on win7 you would still get the group menu on *hover* (ideally this could be simulated on vista as well)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.031s | Server load: 0 ]