topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Good TV series. What do you watch? I used to watch Lost to unwind need successor  (Read 81844 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Everyone has influences.  Miles was influenced by Harry "Sweets" Edison, but I'd hardly say that made him not original.  Like the man said, "sometimes it takes a long time to sound like yourself." :)

Anyway, bet a lot more people saw Prisoner than Nowhere Man.  Not likely to be shown in reruns in the U.S.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
off topic:
@40Hz
no signal? init 0?
You lost your muse?

Oh. Sorry. I just updated my avatar to use a small animated gif that amused me, and forgot that feature has been disabled in the forums. (Kinda dumb of me. Especially since I put my tuppence in when it was previously discussed.)

Re: My Muse :-*:
Nope! Didn't lose her. She's sitting right across from me, jamming along on guitar with an Alvin Lee CD as I'm typing this. ;)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:06 PM by 40hz »

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hmm...House, NCIS, and Kings (NBC), which is wonderfully strange, hard to follow, and wasn't picked up for a second season.  :mad: :'(
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
+1 for Kings. So crushed it wasn't signed up for a second season.

Ehtyar.

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all,

we usually get tv shows later in Germany, so one of my favorites is LIFE (already cancelled), NCIS (alltime favorite), Torchwood from GB. I love Medium, as they show a household and life with children as it is and not as sterile and clean as everywhere else. Still not enough stuff in the hallway.
Criminal Minds is great, so is Bones and Mentalist is nice to see.
CI5 - The Professionals was a great show from the 70ies, so I very much enjoy (british) Life on Mars. Brings back memories.
Best ever - and regularly re-seen: Buffy, Firefly, Angel. Joss can't do anything wrong except choosing the wrong networks.
If you wonder: I have three children. Any show with more than 45 minutes would be interrupted way to often to enjoy it. So it's tv shows for me.

Thomas from Berlin, Germany
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all,

we usually get tv shows later in Germany, so one of my favorites is LIFE (already cancelled), NCIS (alltime favorite), Torchwood from GB. I love Medium, as they show a household and life with children as it is and not as sterile and clean as everywhere else. Still not enough stuff in the hallway.
Criminal Minds is great, so is Bones and Mentalist is nice to see.
CI5 - The Professionals was a great show from the 70ies, so I very much enjoy (british) Life on Mars. Brings back memories.
Best ever - and regularly re-seen: Buffy, Firefly, Angel. Joss can't do anything wrong except choosing the wrong networks.
If you wonder: I have three children. Any show with more than 45 minutes would be interrupted way to often to enjoy it. So it's tv shows for me.

Thomas from Berlin, Germany

NBC, exhibiting its' recent tendency for random brain farts, failed to make a deal to renew Medium for next season. CBS cheerfully snatched the show up, so viewers will be watching on a different network this Fall.

The Mentalist is charming, full of likable folks, even if the writing is a little formulaic, IMHO. Another interesting show is Lie To Me.
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

Bonuskort

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm in the middle of a Dexter marathon right now. Haven't watched Dexter before but it is definitely watchable.

Other shows I have made an effort to see is Numb3rs and Boston Legal. A few years ago I saw some seasons of the White House and Sopranos.

infomaniac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love Torchwood and BBC America is starting a 5 night miniseries of it on July 20th.  Don't know if you need to watch previous episodes to be up for the miniseries.

I also love MI-5 from GB (Spooks). Great spy drama.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
if you don't mind crude humour, there is Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire with Sean Maguire in the titular role. :D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm in the middle of a Dexter marathon right now. Haven't watched Dexter before but it is definitely watchable.
-Bonuskort

Dexter is fabulous & every time you think it's gotten just about as weird as it can & can't get any more complicated for Dexter....it does. :D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Wire - Hoping Season 5 will be as good as the earlier ones
Mad Men - Hoping that there will be a season 2. A show where there's not one likeable character.

Have you been to your public library lately?  You might be surprised. That's where I get all my DVDs.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:43 AM by Clive »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Community - Only 10 episodes so far but it is F.U.N.N.Y!! It reminds me of 3rd Rock From the Sun in that it's a sitcom and it knows it; even during the "serious" moments it's hilarious. However, I imagine it's most amusing to those who have attended community college or a really crappy University.

Ehtyar.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's out of production but I enjoyed Arli$$ while it ran.  The self-proclaimed avarice of the lead character combined with the athlete cameos gave it verisimilitude.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Wire - Hoping Season 5 will be as good as the earlier ones
Mad Men - Hoping that there will be a season 2. A show where there's not one likeable character.

Have you been to your public library lately?  You might be surprised. That's where I get all my DVDs.

Mad Men is in Season 3 now (currently showing in the US).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Since this topic got resurrected....I'm usually not one for lawyer shows, but The Good Wife is an excellent drama. That's the only new show this season we've stuck with.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
This is a good opportunity for me to plug my thread on hidden netflix marathon-session shows to watch online: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=20559.0

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
'The IT crowd' was not mentioned in this thread.

It is absolutely brilliant British humor. Here in PY that kind of humor does not go very well normally, but everybody I know over here laughed...hard, loud and sometimes even with tears in their eyes. :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It takes a special kind of person to 'get' British humor. I really enjoy it, but 90% of people who live outside of England do not get the humor at all.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's because 90% of people outside the UK don't have a sense of humour ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yes...yes...that must be it.  ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

The 10% who do watch PBS.  That's where they recycle all the BritComs in the U.S. I was hoping to get more interesting programming when we got BBC America in the line-up.  There was an interval when the new Dr. Who came out when they presented a whole line-up of Sci Fi programs.  Now that seems to be chucked for "reality" stuff about why women get big boob jobs, talk shows, news and other stuff that doesn't generate a laugh.  Saturday night features back to back episodes of Robin Hood.  No wonder nobody is laughing.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unfortunately UK TV has become a joke in itself. The BBC & ITV were once the envy of the world for drama etc. now both are completely hooked on pointless reality TV, dumbed down drama and boring comedy.

I have to say that as a UK citizen (oops sorry 'subject' - no such things as citizens in the UK unless you are taking citizenship lessons in school, so much for democracy) I now watch far more American programmes than UK programmes simply because they are more intelligently written and have better production values. OK you need to weed out the good stuff from the dross but there are some cracking US shows and very little on UK TV that I want to watch.

There is the occasional recent UK gem:

Criminal Justice (two recent mini series both good)
Documentaries - Life, History of Scotland, Last Chance to See
Music - BBC Proms (though I wish the TV presenters were knowledgeable rather than 'personalities' who show their ignorance most of the time)

Favourites US TV in recent months:

Sopranos (I missed it when it was on TV and bought DVDs)
Deadwood (ditto)
West Wing (ditto - actually anything by Aaron Sorkin I think his writing is brilliant)
Boston Legal (as well as almost anything I can get by David E Kelley The Practice, Ally McBeal - his humour hits the right spot and I like his politics)
Weeds (didn't like it to start with but it grew on me)
Grey's Anatomy (yes I know it is girly but it makes me laugh)
House (well its Hugh Laurie and I can watch him in anything)
Monk & Psych (yes they are both light entertainment but done with a bit of style)
Burn Notice (found this by accident and have watched online)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:52 PM by Carol Haynes »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We also have too many of the reality show variety.  I can only tolerate the ones with hot chicks in bikinis.  Since there's no plot at least there's something to look at.  There were a couple of Hollywood writers strikes a few years back.  I think part of the impetus for the reality craze is that lack of "script" means no unionized script writers.  Guess they plow all the money into locales, skimpy bathing suits, and halter tops.

At least with the skimpy bathing suit shows I usually don't have to listen to people trying to sing.  Everybody who can belt out a ballad in the shower seems to think that's really vocalizing.  It's so sickening to listen to that drivel on "talent" shows. The "singer" chicks that make music videos here should just quit the lip syncing and just do a strip show!!  Cleavage shake seems to be the main prerequisite for being "on key" in those things.

Lately I've caught a couple of episodes of Free Radio on Comedy Central.  The basic plot is a Howard Stern type radio personality bails to go on Satellite Radio(tm) leaving the radio station in the lurch.  Out of desperation they put his quasi-retarded intern on the air to do the show as a stop gap.  The ratings go way up and yadda yadda.  So far it's still bizarre enough to be amusing.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

;D

Unless they're originally from UK!  ;) I love The IT Crowd...